• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR Pistol Help

jpistolero02

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2008
Austin, TX
I purchased an AR pistol from a dealer that he had built for another customer and that customer ghosted him. It’s got a Hanson 12.3” barrel and Bootleg adjustable bolt carrier. I am not sure what buffer and spring it came with other than it was labeled “H1” on the buffer. The dealer is not being super helpful, but the thing won’t grab another round after you fire it. I have tried different magazines and ammo and it doesn’t seem to make a difference. I am primarily shooting 55 PMC to break her in. The dealer said it was probably the buffer and he would send me a heavier one. Well, he never sent it, so I went ahead and ordered an H2 and H3. The problem still persists with both. Do you guys have any other ideas to try? Is it maybe the spring? The brace is a SBA3.

Umm I would say it needs a lighter buffer. The adjustable carrier is probably set to suppressed and it’s not getting enough gas to push the BCG back far enough.

Are you shooting it suppressed?

I would put the H2 buffer in it and then put the BCG wide open and see what happens.

Just a dumb question but have you adjusted the carrier at all?

What length is the gas tube? What kind of gas block is on it?

Don't know if this will help or not but may give you a little insight. I put together a 300 BO with 10.5" BA Hanson profile barrel and Bootleg adjustable bolt. I used standard buffer and spring. Since I was running suppressed (200 gr sub-sonic) I had the bolt set to suppressed. Single round in the mag and bolt would not lock open when fired. Changed the bolt to non-suppressed and it worked fine. My guess is gas port in barrel is drilled small to avoid the over gassed condition that seems to common.

If it were me:

Tune the carrier incrementally towards unsuppressed and see if you get lock back.

Inspect the gas tube. Make sure it is not bent or cracked or anything like that and that it aligns up to the gas key.

Check for leaks around the gas block.

Everything depends. I don't know what gas length you have but odds are with that barrel length it's probably not pistol length and hence you don't need to adjust all the way to "suppressed". I just watched a video on that carrier and it supposedly has four settings.

Start all the way at "unsuppressed" and slowly work back, one click at a time.

I am shooting unsuppressed right now. I have it wide open. If I close it one click, it will not eject the round. If I leave it wide open it seems like the bolt is moving so fast it won’t pick up the next round.

I am shooting unsuppressed right now. I have it wide open. If I close it one click, it will not eject the round. If I leave it wide open it seems like the bolt is moving so fast it won’t pick up the next round.

So you say that if you set it one click toward suppressed it won't eject the round. That would seem to indicate there is not enough gas pressure to move the bolt to the rear which would eject the round.

You also say if you leave it wide open "it seems like the bolt is moving so fast it won't pick up the next round." Try it with only one round in the magazine. Chamber the round and fire it. Does the bolt lock back? If it doesn't that means it is short stroking and either needs more gas or a lighter buffer and or bolt. It could also be that the gas block is partially blocking off the gas port in the barrel.

Reactions: r.tenorio671
I did try that as well. If I have one round left in the magazine the bolt will not stay back with it wide open.

Yep, it's short stroking. If the gas block is aligned and it still short strokes ...Try a regular carbine (3.0 oz) buffer.

Reactions: Evintos
As a point of reference for you, I have the same barrel. I have the JP enhanced buffer spring in my pistol. I have the BA pinned gas block and a Midwest industries FA BCG. When I assembled it I used blue lock tight on both ends of the gas block to create a seal just in case. I also used some where the gas tube goes into the block on the outside to form a seal, again just in case.

I am using an H2 buffer right now but have also tested it with a carbine to see which I preferred. I had zero difference in ejection pattern with the two buffers. Suppressed with my Resonator R2 they both eject to 3 o’clock with IMI 223 ammo. Unsuppressed both buffers ejected to 4 o’clock.

The locks back on the last round. I have have had zero malfunctions. As a test when I got it I ran it completely dry with the H2 buffer and had zero malfunctions in 50 rounds. However, it does not seemed over gassed or bouncy to me.

Hope you get yours figured out, mine is accurate and balance well. I am enjoying it

That’s great news. I appreciate all the help. I will try and take things apart tonight and see what I find around the gas block. It is a pinned block, so it could be something with the darn BCG.