• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR Powders for: .223 55gr-69gr meters well

Hawk45

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2002
Ohio
I've been using Varget as that is what I use in my .308, but just about out and need to place an order. I like varget but it doesn't meter very well so wanted to try something different. What would you recommend? Mostly this will be for my AR systems in 16" barrels using 55gr bullets mostly for training. I don't need to get a super precise load.. just one that is decent. And once I find a powder that works.. I stick with it. I hate load development :) (range is too far to be constantly testing).

I've seen people post the following but couldn't find a decent consensus:
Ramshot TAC
Hogdon H335
Accurate AA2230
Hogdon Benchmark
IMR 8208 XBR
Alliant RL15
Open to other suggestions..

Re: AR Powders for: .223 55gr-69gr meters well

TAC is easy to find, flows well through progressive powder measures, is consistent for bullets from 55 through 77 grains, and can be loaded for mild routine training loads through MILSPEC pressures.

The above powders are good. I've had very good luck with Win 748 for a lot of years. Accurate, ball powder that meters well through a powder measure, and it's easy on your barrel.
Hope that helps. Enjoy!

I heard that the 5.56 with the 55gr. FMJ was loaded with 3031. I use 4064 with 69grSMK out of my 24" barrel with great results.

I am currently running Alliant's AR Comp(same as rl15, but no temp issues). It does exactly what it says, works well with the heavier bullets for 223 and 308. Shoots awesome in my POF which has a 1:7 twist. Shoots clean with nosler 69/77 custom comps. Benchmark and varget were terrible in mine and 52/55gr are not real awesome either.

Now for the bad part. Good luck finding AR Comp or Hodgdon's CF-223(anti copper fouling stuff). I have called everywhere and finally got Cabelas in Roger's MN to ship the 8lb bottle. Nobody has the stuff in stock. Remember it is election year and the world is ending in December. AR's are flying off the shelf in MN.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TAC is easy to find, flows well through progressive powder measures, is consistent for bullets from 55 through 77 grains, and can be loaded for mild routine training loads through MILSPEC pressures.</div></div>

+1

My goto load has been 24.5gn of TAC with a 69SMK and an OAL of 2.260”.

I can't get Varget to meter well enough to run it through the thrower without trickling, but Hodgdon BL(C)-2 does.

RL15 meters about the same as Varget. TAC meters awesome, shot well for me, used primarily with heavier bullets, but never quite as well as Varget or RL15. Benchmark meters pretty well, and I have had fantastic results with it and 55gr and lighter bullets. W748, since it was mentioned, meters very well, had good results with lighter varmint bullets, never tried with anything heavier. 2000MR also meters pretty well, have only used it in the .308, but its advertised as good for heavy .223 loads.

If you want ball powder for plinking ammo and aren't big on accuracy why not just get some milsurp powder?

edit: hi-techammo has wc844 pulldown for 85$ per 8 lbs. They say to go with h335 data which is about right. Just start from the bottom and work up.

I like Benchmark, but honestly, I've never tried any of the others on your list. It met my needs, so I didn't look further. It meters well, and temperature doesn't seem to affect it much. I've used it from 52-60 grain, mostly 55 gr.

for 55gr ammo that's for blasting, go with a ball powder. If you are pushing the edge on accuracy, go with the extrudeds.

I been using AA2520 for 55 fmj's and 77gr smk's. It meters like a dream and gives great accuracy.

I have 8lbs of IMR8208XBR on the way so I'll see how it goes with that.

I use both Varget and H335 for my .223 AR's. Varget with the RCBS Chargemaster and H335 with a powder thrower. The H335 splashes in the pan and gets everywhere with the Chargemaster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ramshot TAC</div></div>
I have used Ramshot Tac from 55gr-75gr and it works pretty darn good for my AR-15's
I gets a +1 from me

Try Accurate Arms 2230
I have been using 25.5gr of AA2230 with a 55gr bullet.
Practice rounds for AR style rifle / carbine
Adjust your load to your rifle.

I do it all the slow way but I've had excellent accuracy with W-748 (BL-C2 also). Varget IS the standard though, best groups with 69 gr SMK's. W-748 has been so close if I was metering I wouldn't hesitate to try it (so close I'd say it was me not the powder). Temp sensitivity is another story, never had a problem with W-748, but haven't used it enough in wildly varing conditions to say it won't be.

Anyone above using alliant powders like ar comp and pro2000mr...have you tested these loads in temps of 95*or warmer? I'm skeptical of alliant not being temp sensitive. As all of their other powders willshow sensitivity once ambient temp is above 92F.

I use AA2230 exclusively now. Everything from 55 gr to 80 gr. Meters well, burns fast and hot, if anything I have to keep below the max loads to keep from blowing primers.

I have tried Varget, Bcl-2, IMR, and reloader. Settled on AA2230. YRMV

Look at CFE 223 as well. Meters great and has good velocity.

I use H335 for my 55gr loads and Tac for my 69 and 77gr loads. Really happy with both.

Since you have both 308 and 223. I would say rock Ramshot Tac... good stuff and meters very well. If trickling it's hard to beat varget for low es and temperature stability.

Yes, TAC will do everything I want in 223 and 308.
my utility loads:
.223-55gr fmj
24.5gr TAC
mixed brass
#41 mil primer
light crimp with Lee factory crimp die

.308-145gr fmj from Widener's
42 gr TAC
mixed brass
#34 mil primer
light crimp with Lee factory crimp die

both loads are seated .010" short of max length in Lyman book
both loads will easily do 1.5" at 100yd in my guns, which I consider very good for bulk-loaded FMJ bullets. YMMV

Also had good results with WC844, Accurate 2230, H335, various 4895's (both commercial and surplus)

I'm cheap, and we load more than most so my goto powder is WC844...

Meters like milk in a dillon, Dan at hi tech is awesome.....

The old high power load of 24.8 will run your 69's, I load more than the newer book max of 25.3 with 55 fmj's in my AR's with no ill effect. The army manual shows 28 grains, but that is with crimped primers and I cannot get there.
Just the experience I have. I got 60 Vmax under an inch with 25.1 grains in my RRA match gun. Good enough for me

Sean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hofhine1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm cheap, and we load more than most so my goto powder is WC844...

</div></div>

This. Cant beat it for the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JonM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hofhine1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm cheap, and we load more than most so my goto powder is WC844...

</div></div>

This. Cant beat it for the price. </div></div>

This is the way to go for general purpose training loads. I've used it for 15 years and thousands of rounds with no problems.

I use 23.9 of AA2520 with 75 HPBT with an fps of 2614. Has very good accuracy potential out of my 18”. It also meters well in a 650.

I like Accurate 2230 for my AR; at 24 gr behind a 55 gr fmj I'll get just about 300 rounds per pound.

AR-comp for me, 24gr under a 55gr win fmj gets me about 3/4 to 1 moa at 2820fps, out of a 16in barrel. Varget is my next go to with 25.5gr gets me about the same accuracy with a average of 2690fps.