• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR recoil reduction

Bull81

Lost Cause
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Mississippi
Just curious what some ways are to reduce the recoil pulse on an AR with the buffer and bolt carrier, I'm not interested in brakes. My precision 223 AR currently has a rifle length gas system, JP low mass carrier, adjustable gas block, and silent capture spring. It is softer shooting than any of my others but does have a different snappier pulse that's still soft if that makes any sense. Just wondering if there was anything that could be done to help.

While this may sound counter intuitive ... you might try a standard weight buffer spring or a heavier weight one.

IMHO, AR's in general have ample volume of gas available.. so a heavier spring just helps soften / reduce the initial cyclic impulse.

I'd try a Tubbs flatwire....prior to buying a stronger silent captured spring.... or even a standard new rifle / carbine spring.. ( depending on your stock and buffer tube length )

I have numerous AR's with heavy buffers and heavier springs, along with adjustable gas blocks.... all of them have found "happy" recoil points with Tubbs springs.. I even have a .308 Tubbs in a 9MM PCC blowback... runs super smooth.. My .308 AR uses a .308 Tubbs.

The added "closed" weight helps "retard" the snappy BCG movement right where I want it.

I haven't tried the .308 Tubbs in any AR15 .223 / 5.56 though.

The whole point is ... the Tubbs springs slow down the BCG speed just enough.

Here are some spring weight measurements from David Tubbs... just food for thought.

A2 (old) - 7.6lb closed, 14.5lb open
A2 (new) - 9.1lb closed, 16.7lb open
Tubb Flatwire - 10.5lb closed, 16.3lb open
Tubb .308 Flatwire - 13lb closed, 16.7lb open
SpringCo White ? (standard) - 8.3lb closed, 16.3lb open
SpringCo Red (extra) - 10.5lb closed, 18.4lb open
SpringCo Orange (increased) - 13.9lb closed, 24.8lb open

IMHO, an extra power spring isn't needed , nor wanted.

I tried both the "Red" and "Orange" ... both caused needless muzzle dip, and were slamming the BCG really hard into the breach face

Last edited:
Just curious what some ways are to reduce the recoil pulse on an AR with the buffer and bolt carrier, I'm not interested in brakes. My precision 223 AR currently has a rifle length gas system, JP low mass carrier, adjustable gas block, and silent capture spring. It is softer shooting than any of my others but does have a different snappier pulse that's still soft if that makes any sense. Just wondering if there was anything that could be done to help.

Your current setup is just about perfect.

don't take this the wrong way but I'm not quite understanding what you could possibly want over what you already have I mean a.223 with none of those accessories doesn't even have any recoil any ways, it could possibly be the way that you're mounting and holding your rifle giving you this false feeling of a Sharp recoil impulse.

But since you don't want to run a muzzle brake my only suggestion to you is I would add more weight to the Rifle. You can get a quality A2 stock and they have led inserts to help balance the weight of the rifle and smooth out the recoil impulse, it makes the recoil impulse feel more like a smooth thud.

Your current setup is just about perfect.

don't take this the wrong way but I'm not quite understanding what you could possibly want over what you already have I mean a.223 with none of those accessories doesn't even have any recoil any ways, it could possibly be the way that you're mounting and holding your rifle giving you this false feeling of a Sharp recoil impulse.

But since you don't want to run a muzzle brake my only suggestion to you is I would add more weight to the Rifle. You can get a quality A2 stock and they have led inserts to help balance the weight of the rifle and smooth out the recoil impulse, it makes the recoil impulse feel more like a smooth thud.

I have no problem with the recoil the rifle is already fairly heavy, I mainly shoot it prone and it performs outstanding 5 round groups in the low .3's high .2's are not uncommon for it. I was mainly asking out if curiosity.

You've done the right things already. Reduced reciprocating mass and increased rifle mass is the way to get what you're looking for, along with tuning the gas system correctly. If you're really chasing that last little bit, do some fine tuning of the gas system for one specific load instead of trying to make it run everything.

Also keep in mind that at some point with low mass parts the "sharp" feeling you describe may be just the recoil of the cartridge, like you'd feel in a bolt gun; heavier reciprocating mass tends to mask that even though it's still present. Heavier buffers, carriers, and springs can make some people perceive lower recoil, but that's more perception than reality IMO if we're comparing well tuned gas systems. More weight delaying bolt unlocking also means more weight slamming the bolt closed again. Less reciprocating mass is ideal to make the rifle track flatter. Hope that makes sense.

reduce recoil on a rife length .223 AR...?

c9cc24ae380a6c32ce9574139623c4ab.jpg

Kills me how some people can't help but be assholes, read the damn thread next time before being a smartass. I was strictly asking out of curiosity.

Not to mention.... If I could have a .223 / 5.56 AR that kicks like a .22LR ... why wouldn't I want that ? ... Faster follow up, less wear and tear... I could go on and on...

The least recoil you can get on an AR15 has been shown by the 3gunners and similar gamers for years. You want the longest gas system you can get (generally rifle gas on a 16-18in barrel, but 20in is fine). You then add an adjustable gas block from Superlative Arms or SLR Rifleworks. Then add a rifle buffer system, with the lightest spring and buffer you can, and the lightest BCG you can. Right now this would be Taccom, Taccom, and Master of Arms (not cheap, AIM Surplus has a cheap option). You then add a stupidly loud brake like the SJC Titan, and you now own an AR with the least recoil it can possibly have. Of course you can always add more weight as well (like heavy stock and handguards) but that makes the rifle less usable for anything but a bench gun.

For your specific circumstances, I'd suggest getting rid of the SCS and using TACCOM instead and seeing how that feels, preferably in a rifle buffer system.

The least recoil you can get on an AR15 has been shown by the 3gunners and similar gamers for years. You want the longest gas system you can get (generally rifle gas on a 16-18in barrel, but 20in is fine). You then add an adjustable gas block from Superlative Arms or SLR Rifleworks. Then add a rifle buffer system, with the lightest spring and buffer you can, and the lightest BCG you can. Right now this would be Taccom, Taccom, and Master of Arms (not cheap, AIM Surplus has a cheap option). You then add a stupidly loud brake like the SJC Titan, and you now own an AR with the least recoil it can possibly have. Of course you can always add more weight as well (like heavy stock and handguards) but that makes the rifle less usable for anything but a bench gun.

For your specific circumstances, I'd suggest getting rid of the SCS and using TACCOM instead and seeing how that feels, preferably in a rifle buffer system.

Thanks this was the kind of information I was looking for

I would suggest considering some load development/ammunition selection centered around a lighter weight projectile.

It seems so obvious to me that it may not actually occur when one's mind is so deeply entangled in the hardware aspect of your question. But I still think it's a worthy approach.

Greg

I would suggest considering some load development/ammunition selection centered around a lighter weight projectile.

It seems so obvious to me that it may not actually occur when one's mind is so deeply entangled in the hardware aspect of your question. But I still think it's a worthy approach.

Greg
Not a bad idea but the rifle is set up for longer ranges and it loves the 73 eld's so I'm not changing the load. I broke the barrel in with some 52 grain loads I had from another AR and it was definitely lighter recoiling. Like I stated earlier I was mainly just curious and I've seen some of the 3 gun rifles barley even quiver when their fired. I throughly enjoy the rifle as it sits now

Potss is on the right track, a combination of the right parts is good but it also takes an aggressive stance behind a rifle. Try to spot the muzzle rise in this video: https://youtu.be/EBzzrE0gjzc
It doesn't exist. Don't mind the crappy run or the holster duct taped on, it's just a good video to see the rifle in action.