• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing AR repair. Please help!

Kyle7

Private
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2013
Watertown, SD
Hello all,
since today was payday for me i figured try and pretty up my AR a little. So among the other stuff i bought, i got a Magpul trigger guard. So i went to remove the rear roll pin on the factory trigger guard, and i started to hammer out the pin with a punch. long story short, i broke off one of the tabs :( now i am wondering what the best route for repair would be. I have pondered about welding it back on and just buying a new stripped lower, but i decided to give JB Weld (steelstik type) a try first. I guess i am just curious what route you guys would suggest, for i am all ears at this point. Thank you for your insight guys

This is a weak link in lowers if abused. I would bite the bullet and get a new lower and keep this as a lesson learned. I don't trust JB but some may.

I'd set the trigger guard In place and mold marine tex or steel bed around it to set it. It's just cosmetic man. Still a good lower. Lesson learned. I used spare wood pieces for support. Give it to the kids to practice builds with.

I think that a Stark grip will conceal the break:

1249502541032-108154381.jpeg

Link: SE-1 AR-15 Pistol Grip

Either stark grip or find a guy locally to tig weld it, then sand it flush and paint the lower.

Been there, done that except I broke of both ears on my first AR build. Tig and paint was the way I went.

It seems that JB is sticking pretty well today, if that doesnt work, i work in a welding facility, so having someone TIG it is a free option. i thought if the JB weld didnt pan out to try the Magpul MIAD with the winter trigger guard. I also decided it wouldnt be a bad thing to build one as well. so maybe ill just make this current one into a truck gun and add that Stark grip, save the Magpul MIAD i have now for my build. Either way, thank you all for your insight and suggestions :)