• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR scope advise

Alan Warner

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2003
Keene, NH
Looking to equip an AR with a 1-4 or 1-6 with parallax adj., thermal, and range finding capabilities along with an MOA tree. No larger than 30 mm tube.
Lit reticle and range finding would be a bonus.
What experiences do you have, good and bad? Can mirage be seen thru thermal day and night?
The stick I've assembled holds 2/3 min @600 with a dot, but I don't like it one damn bit. Probably a little better once I learn the bullet I'm using.
Thanks for helping an old LR HM
Alan

Only one I know of with adjustable focus is the March 1-10. It uses a 33mm? Front ring and 30mm rear, so their mount is likely mandatory. Guessing it is ballpark $2k.
So, just saying that an adjustable focus on a 1-4 is kinda unnecessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: simonp
In practice I've never missed the parallax adjustment on my Vortex gen II 1-6. I assume you mean measuring with the reticle and determining range by math.

Reactions: Makinchips208
Looking to equip an AR with a 1-4 or 1-6 with parallax adj., thermal, and range finding capabilities along with an MOA tree. No larger than 30 mm tube.
Lit reticle and range finding would be a bonus.
What experiences do you have, good and bad? Can mirage be seen thru thermal day and night?
The stick I've assembled holds 2/3 min @600 with a dot, but I don't like it one damn bit. Probably a little better once I learn the bullet I'm using.
Thanks for helping an old LR HM
Alan
Wait about six years and the Vortex XM-157 NGSW-FC may be available to civilians. Until then what you’re asking for doesn’t exist.

Wait about six years and the Vortex XM-157 NGSW-FC may be available to civilians. Until then what you’re asking for doesn’t exist.

Thanks for that.. So do I need a thermal unit that mounts in front of the scope? If so, what would you all recommend?

OK, now I understand what u are looking to do. Here is a list of what you need to accomplish your goal-

Rifle scope-Schmidt and Bender 1-8 dual focal or a Vortex Razor 1-10 will do if u want to save a couple bucks.

Thermal clipon- Trijicon UTC XII or EOtech XLR.

Weapon mounted range finder- Envision MARS or Wilcox MRF

Reactions: Makinchips208
Thanks for that.. So do I need a thermal unit that mounts in front of the scope? If so, what would you all recommend?
Sorry, I missed the thermal part.
Here are three proven sources with websites, experience, and knowledge, from guys who do this regularly.

Feral texas outdoors

Outdoor legacy

night vision guys

Last edited:
Just my opinion, I hate huge, bulky LPVOs. I've owned and used a number of them. I'll take a 4x prism any day.
Yeah, and just add a flip to the side magnifier for the prism and a piggyback red dot and you in the same ball park of capability. 😂😒

• Haha
Reactions: beetroot
Yeah, and just add a flip to the side magnifier for the prism and a piggyback red dot and you in the same ball park of capability. 😂😒
neither. the prism has BAC capacity which makes it as quick as an EO tech, and with an etched reticle, I don't have to worry about a battery dying at the wrong time. And who needs a magnification booster? 4x is fine in normal combat ranges. This isn't a target scope, it's a combat optic.

So I end up with an ultra-maneuverable, lightweight, durable rifle instead of a honked out, heavy, tacticool boat anchor.