• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR scope mount, non-QD

nuclear_shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2013
Trying to decide which scope mount. Scope will probably be a 10x SWFA SS, rifle is a MATEN w/ 260 barrel and PRS stock. I'm trying to avoid QD since I don't have a need for it and its just another thing to go wrong. Normally, I'd just go with some Seekins AR height rings, but I'd really like to get 20 MOA on the scope. I really like the Nightforce Unmount, but the price tag seemed really high for what it was. One other option is to get the Badger 22 MOA riser, but there is no real price savings there (~100 for the riser and 120 for Seekins low rings vs 250 for the unmount) plus its another failure point. Advantage is I can play musical scopes with my bolt gun.

Does anybody have any other recommendations for non-QD scope mounts for AR that have 20 MOA (or 30 MOA) built in, or any thoughts on either of the two options above?

Relevant products:
Nightforce Ultralite Unimount Picatinny-Style 20 MOA Elevated Integral
Badger Ordnance Extended Picatinny-Style 22 MOA Elevated Riser Mount

The Aadmount is about the best money can buy in my opinion/experience with several, but they are going to run you ~$250 unless you can find one used. I snagged one late last year from here on the Hide for <$200. They come up for sale on occasion and are one of the single best made, most durable, high end mounts made for the AR period! See here for more info: AADMOUNT 20 MOA PRECISION AR SCOPE MOUNT Jon, the company owner/designed/builder/etc., is a long-time Hide member. He'll take excellent care of you if you go that route!

The other great option to consider are the Badger Ordnance Unimounts. They are available in a variety of 30mm flavors, including several with 20MOA cants and a variety of heights for ~$180 new in the box. UniMounts | Badger Ordnance Triad Tactical, another respected Hide vendor, usually has stock of them in several options...see here:

Triad Tactical, Inc.*::*Badger Ordnance*::*Badger Bases*::*Badger 1 Piece Assembly, 20 MOA, 1.30", 30mm

and here

Triad Tactical, Inc.*::*Badger Ordnance*::*Badger Bases*::*Badger 1 Piece Assembly, 20 MOA, 1.40", 30mm

As for the Seekins ring/Badger 22MOA riser option...its a great one and one that I currently use on my P-308 with great success. Both the riser and rings mount up so tightly that if installed properly to begin with, you don't have to worry about any "failure points" or like issues with something going wrong.

The NF Unimounts are also quality products and will serve you well, but I understand your concern re: price.

I agree with everything ORD mentions above, plus:

1) An SWFA 10x42 has between 130 MOA (10x42 HD model) and 150 MOA (regular non-HD model). Even with a 260 Rem you do not need a 20 MOA base to realize it's full LR potential. Though if you change scopes in the future you might need that 20 MOA

2) On Every Remington 700 made has it's scope bases is attached via 4 dinky 6x48 screws, and nobody complains. Badger's 22 MOA riser rail is clamped via 4 large screws with 1/2" of clamping area each and is mounted to a integral receiver rail and it's now a major "Failure Point"......

3) Anything worth buying is not bought "on the cheap". Quality costs.

I agree with everything ORD mentions above, plus:

1) An SWFA 10x42 has between 130 MOA (10x42 HD model) and 150 MOA (regular non-HD model). Even with a 260 Rem you do not need a 20 MOA base to realize it's full LR potential. Though if you change scopes in the future you might need that 20 MOA

2) On Every Remington 700 made has it's scope bases is attached via 4 dinky 6x48 screws, and nobody complains. Badger's 22 MOA riser rail is clamped via 4 large screws with 1/2" of clamping area each and is mounted to a integral receiver rail and it's now a major "Failure Point"......

3) Anything worth buying is not bought "on the cheap". Quality costs.

1) I actually already have the scope on hand. Its currently on my 300 win mag, which I am upgrading to 12x SWFA SS. With the 20 MOA base, low Seekins rings, I can dial about 24 mils. So without the 20 MOA it would be about 18ish mils (back of the envelope calculation here). Subsonic range with a liberal estimate MV (2800 fps with 140 amax) has a drop of ~16 mils, so I could probably get away with it, but sometimes the scopes get a little bit non-linear near the end of their turrets dial range. Granted THIS IS A VERY ROUGH CALCULATION with lots of assumptions, and I probably wont be shooting past 1200 yard with it. But I'd rather spend a few extra bucks now to get the most out of my rifle.

3) I agree 100%. However, I always like to think there is a 'best option for the money'. I'm a 'poor' grad student so I like to save a few bucks if I can! However, like I said in 1) its worth extra money to me to be able to have something that I won't have to replace.

ORD has posted some good alternatives. Sometimes with Nightforce I feel like I'm buying the name as well as a great product. Frankly I'm temped by the AADMOUNT. It looks solid as a brick shithouse (though I do prefer my bubble levels on the scope so I can see em when looking though the scope). Will do some thinking.

I'd give the new 20 moa ADM Recon mount @ $209. I have a zero moa ADM mount on my MR 762 which I like better than my LaRue mounts.

Last edited:
I give the 20 moa ADM Recon mount @ $209. I have a zero moa ADM mount on my MR 762 which I like better than my LaRue mounts.

Those can be had for about $160 these days. I almost bought that, but I really want something with great lock up though, I don't see the need for QD on a precision rifle like this.

I missed the non QD so my post is irrelevant, sorry. The mount I was referring to is the new Recon 20 moa mount @$209 not the regular Recon 0 moa which lists @ $159. So i'd go along with ORD's recommendation.

I have and H&K MR 762 which is my most accurate 308 gasser and is capable of 0.5-0.6 moa when I do my part with my match hand loads. I just put a Bushnell Elite FFP 3.5-21X50 in an ADM QD Recon mount and haven't had any problems with it.

Last edited:

Attachments

• M4 complete 1 .JPG
    M4 complete 1 .JPG
    301.5 KB · Views: 17
  • NIKON TWO PIECE AR RINGS .jpg
    NIKON TWO PIECE AR RINGS .jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 17
  • AR mounted Wiched Light .jpg
    AR mounted Wiched Light .jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Have you considered the Larue mounts? You can get them without the QD option for $50 less. For instance the LT-104 which is typically $210 can be had without the QD levers fot $160. I believe they offer this on almost all of their mounts.
They do make excellent mounts

I missed the non QD so my post is irrelevant, sorry. The mount I was referring to is the new Recon 20 moa mount @$209 not the regular Recon 0 moa which lists @ $159. So i'd go along with ORD's recommendation.

I have and H&K MR 762 which is my most accurate 308 gasser and is capable of 0.5-0.6 moa when I do my part with my match hand loads. I just put a Bushnell Elite FFP 3.5-21X50 in an ADM QD Recon mount and haven't had any problems with it.

Are you referring to this adm 20 MOA mount?

6F160AD0-4EAC-4BC6-8AC7-5DA6C0B1C625.jpg

I'm really liking my Badger mount after returning a LaRue.

Yeah, I'm not going with Larue. Have read a bunch of mixed things about them, their cost, and Mark.

Plenty of reasons NOT to go with Larue, namely Mark himself, but more importantly, Badger Ordnance, NF, Aadmount, and if you MUST have QD, then GDI followed by ADM, Bobro, etc. ;)

Plenty of reasons NOT to go with Larue, namely Mark himself, but more importantly, Badger Ordnance, NF, Aadmount, and if you MUST have QD, then GDI followed by ADM, Bobro, etc. ;)

Frankly, I was all set to buy the Aadmount, but it was out of stock. If its not in stock by the time by barrels ships, I'm gonna have to rethink it. I emailed them asking about potential turnaround, but no reply as of yet. Been waiting for 6 months for a long range semi, not sure I can wait any longer on the mount!

Frankly, I was all set to buy the Aadmount, but it was out of stock. If its not in stock by the time by barrels ships, I'm gonna have to rethink it. I emailed them asking about potential turnaround, but no reply as of yet. Been waiting for 6 months for a long range semi, not sure I can wait any longer on the mount!

Shoot Jon a PM here on the Hide and see if he can give you an ETA (Jon IS Aadland/Aadmounts FYI). Here's a link to his Hide profile: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/members/jon-a.html

Also, shoot an e-mail or call SWFA re: Aadmount 30mm/20MOA availability as they, at least at one time, did stock them (as with all things SWFA...just be sure to confirm before ordering as they don't have real-time inventory online).

Finally, put up a WTB here on the Hide, as well as checking out BARFCOM in the Equipment Exchange as they pop up there on occasion.

Shoot Jon a PM here on the Hide and see if he can give you an ETA (Jon IS Aadland/Aadmounts FYI). Here's a link to his Hide profile: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/members/jon-a.html

Also, shoot an e-mail or call SWFA re: Aadmount 30mm/20MOA availability as they, at least at one time, did stock them (as with all things SWFA...just be sure to confirm before ordering as they don't have real-time inventory online).

Finally, put up a WTB here on the Hide, as well as checking out BARFCOM in the Equipment Exchange as they pop up there on occasion.

SWFA has them, and at a better price! They don't have real-time inventory and its after business hours in TX, but I will give them a call tomorrow morning. Thanks!

As another possibility, you could run a 20 MOA EGW extendariser and rings of your choice. That's what my LR6.5 wears.