• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR setup with PEQ and Light

Alaskaman11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2009
Last Frontier
So, all this fancy stuff all you highspeed guys hang on your carbines is really cool. Back in my day it was just a light. Mind you that was when Clinton was in office. That is besides the point, I’m setting up a new carbine and need some advise. When you have a peq and a light on the rifle, how do you set up your pressure pads? I assume you will have two. Are they set up parallel? Or in different spots on the handguard?

IMG_8068.jpeg

I have a dual switch set up just behind my grip. I like that position because it prevents light ND's and is still fairly accessible.

Reactions: TheDude219
The answer is yes and no. You will find all manners of setups with LAM and lights and switch setups. On my two night guns I've gone through a number of different iterations with the switches. I've done no tape switches, Unity taps, Unity Axon, and Mod buttons. I'm even in the process of changing the setup on one because of a new LAM purchase. That one will only have a mod button for the light, and I'll use the built in button on the LAM. The other rifle has a Unity Axon.

Most common is mounting both switches to the top rail. You will see some using a single switch (hot button or mod button) on the side of the rail for one switch and one top mounted for another switch.

Reactions: Alaskaman11
My preference is a pressure switch for the LAM at 12 where it is reachable by my thumb from my normal firing grip, but not so reachable I might accidentally hit it while grabbing the rifle. The LAM is just in front of the pressure switch so I can immediately move my hand to it to adjust the controls.

I just use a simple clicky tailcap with the light mounted so I can cant my wrist forward to reach it with my thumb. I feel a tapeswitch for the light gives too much possibility for a light ND.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
Same here. Going through a few setups even now as I swap stuff around and get more/better gear. With a PEQ, or equivalent, I’d prefer a unity dual switch

My favorite right now though is a Mawl with its built-in switches for the laser, and a stand alone unity switch forward and to the left of that for the white light. The light is on an echo arms Mawl mount that is also the flashlight body:

i-9skGmjc.jpg

i-BQKRCCN.jpg