• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes AR sight for up close?

Rundownfid

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2009
Newport, Pa.
I shoot 3-gun and use a 1-4 power, which I am happy with for most matches. However, there are two local matches that only have pistol pits and therefore no shots over 50 yds are possible. I'm, getting killed by EoTechs and red dots! Before I buy an EoTech is there another option that is even better for fast close up work with an AR (I have a flat top with a fixed front sight)?
As a further question I'd like the sight to co witness with the fixed front and BUIS rear, but if that isn't easy then perhaps just be usable with the front not blocking the top half, thoughts?

Re: AR sight for up close?

I have a C-More railway reddot sight on my AR15. I had it in my spares box and tried it. It co-witnesses with the removable carry handle on. Looking through the aperture the dot just sits there on the front sight post.
It's not as tacticool as some other reddots, but it is fast. I used to have it on a 1911 I use in plate matches. I changed over to an Ultra Dot MatchDot for use in plates and bullseye otherwise it would still be on the pistol.

It's just one option.

Jim

I used an aimpiont in ranger bat they can take a beating and keep on going as for speed, practice, practice, practice.

Personally, I'd rather have an EOTech XPS with front and rear flip-ups so you have no obstruction. My second choice would be an Aimpoint.

I am a big fan of the E0Tech and PRI Troy flip up front sights and the GG&G MAD rear sight. When you co witness, the Circle front sight with post in the middle the EOTech Circle and the Circle Aperture of the rear sight all align and when those circles line up you know you are on.
Also think about getting a jpoint/fastfire/insight technologies and mounting to a Badger picatinny ring cap right above your 1 to 4 power, that way you don't have to change your current set up at all.

SN4 is fast to track on 1x(lit) but on the heavier side compared to an Aimpoint. Aimpoint battery life is good and the dot cowitness' solid. Eotech is fast and easy to see. Speed is very fast when you have a bright dot sight. If you don't want to use the 1x on your scope because weight slows you down with both eyes open, go with the Eotech(I have used both Eotech and AImpoint, prefer Eotech)

Have you given the Bindon Aiming Concept a try for close stuff? It works with some people but not with others.

There is a well known 3 gunner that says "nothing is faster than irons" on the close stuff. Of course he practices daily with irons!
I know a Marine that took the ACOG off his M-16 cause most of his shots were under 25 yd. (rear guard for a striker). Just uses irons, made it through two tours so far.
I use a Meopta k-dot 1-4, that red dot sure sped up my times on close stages.

get a T1 bro and get a flip up sight that way you dont HAVE to co-witness, that takes time. I know some people are gonna wanna kill me for saying that but its true!!!!

He has a rear flip up and a fixed front, You co- witness the front rear and red dot initially to get your zero, you don't have to do it every time when you are using the red dot with the rear in the down position.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enkry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a T1 bro and get a flip up sight that way you dont HAVE to co-witness, that takes time. I know some people are gonna wanna kill me for saying that but its true!!!! </div></div>

Whats wrong with plain old iron sights that come with it. I find them faster.

I find the irons on my SP1 (A1) that I have no problem hitting to 400 when sighted in at 250, BSZ.

I use irons on my White Oak service rifle up to 1000, (but I adjust).

Aimpoint H1 or T1 with a lower 1/3 co-witness is hard to beat, and about as bulletproof as they come.

eotech xps2 or aimpoint micro h1 or t1. one of the small trijicon reflex sights would also work well.