• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR sight help.

ERdept

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2008
Orange County, Kali.
Sighting in my AR irons and EoTech today.

Got everything sighted in but my rear Troy sight is almost all the way over to my left as I sit behind the gun. I'd say 75% there.

Is this OK anyway, cause it is on target after all or is there an issue?

MY SETUP:

CMMG lower, LWRC UPPER with rail in the upper and rails over the gas piston where the handguards are.

Front sight is on the gas block, not on the rail.

Rear sight is on the rear rail and so is the Eotech.

Started all sight in with the windage at teh middle position and the front post in the middle-most position of its screw.

Or, like I say, is this ok and just shoot it?

Re: AR sight help.

your gas block is canted to one side. you can have a smith fix it for you in 5 minutes.

If the gas block is held on with set screws, loosen and twist minutely to move the front sight, then go resight in weapon. If that is avoided, go shoot the fucking thing and dont worry about it.

you hold for wind not dial it anyway so if you got a few clicks leeway for ammo variations yer gtg. then just dial that eo in to match an give it hell. just my opinion.

Using a post front sight, favoring for wind at 300 plus yards is not as accurate as clicking for it, if circumstances allow it. With a rear sight all the way over to the left for a no-wind BSZ, there may not be enough adjustment available to click for wind. Of course, if a 200 meter, or perhaps a 255 meter zero is the ideal then the necessity to click for any wind may be moot, as using a center of mass hold on an "E" sized target would still, with just a little favor, get good hits at targets to 300 yards, even in a full value 10 mph wind.

At any rate, for mechanical and no-wind zero to intersect, adjust the gas block as required.

Oh, but here's the problem. I have an inline gas piston system. Not a gas tube.

If the sight is moved over, the gas piston system is now askew.

Try a different rear sight. I know that Troys are good kit, but variances in the rail width and height of the angled sides of the rail can cause what you are describing.
They are BUIS, no? As long as you aren't trying to run it in a NRA highpower comp I wouldn't worry about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ERdept</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, but here's the problem. I have an inline gas piston system. Not a gas tube.

If the sight is moved over, the gas piston system is now askew. </div></div>

I bet that with a 1mm skew, your piston will work just fine. But your sights will still be off.

OK. Well it seems to me that since im on target with both the EoTech on BUIS, even thought the rear is predominantly left, bottom line, the gun still works and I'm on target.

And variances with wind and I'll pull my usual Kentucky Windage compensation, which I've always done since I learned how to shoot.

Not saying it's the best thing to do, but I've compansated on a subconscous level for windage this way for years.

Problem solved, thanks for the pow wow.

Noone dials windage ontheir eotechs, aimpoints or Acogs. If its that kind of rifle/carbine I'd ensure the forend and receiver are lined up for function above all else, and not worry about the rear sight. Most of the setups I've ran have had the rear sight off center (with BUIS setups).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Noone dials windage ontheir eotechs, aimpoints or Acogs. If its that kind of rifle/carbine I'd ensure the forend and receiver are lined up for function above all else, and not worry about the rear sight. Most of the setups I've ran have had the rear sight off center (with BUIS setups). </div></div>

Yup, not dialing it in on the Eotech. It's set. No need to bother with it.

My issue is/was the rear sight, but though it's to the left, it's still on. So it is set too.

As stated above, I'll just compensate for windage with the Le Kentuckian methode

If, indeed, you've got a piston rod/tube skewed, as evidenced by the gas block, gun life will be short, and, accuracy will be less than best-get it fixed.