• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR style stock or more "standard" stock, how to choose

stradibarrius

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2017
I am currently seriously looking at a Tikka T3x tac a1 which has an AR type stock. I currently have a Sako TRG22 in .308 and a Savage 12LRP in 6.5 cr. I do have an AR 15 223/556 semi. The short LOP and no Cheek rise make it difficult to compare to my Savage or LRP. I don't want to spend the money on the Tikka A1 and find out I don't like the feel of the AR/Chassis type bolt gun.
Any suggestions on how to really find out? Just go to a gun shop that has some chassis bolt guns and see how they feel?

Yeah, you're going to have to try them out. You can handle one at a gun shop, but firing it is probably going to be the best way to gauge. Do you have a shooting range that rents one or do you know someone that owns one? It's not an AR style in the traditional sense, they look alike but are considerably more solid than an AR stock. I don't know about the Tikka, but would you be able to change it out for a fixed stock such as a PRS or other type? It kinda looks like where it mounts to the receiver is similar to the AR platform...

FWIW, I'm a traditional stock guy but found the Ruger RPR type chassis pretty ergonomic and felt pretty good. The handling of the rifle is the same, the only real big difference is actually the pistol grip and the ability to wrap your hand all the way around the grip while shooting.

Reactions: shoobe01
I like the feel of the pistol grip on my AR but I don't really like the slap feel plus the butt stock is by design short. I can check and see if my range has anything that I could rent and try.

Go to a local match and ask if you can look through a couple. Most guys will let you check out their gear if you ask.

I would not call the stock the Tikka you referenced comes with an "AR Style" stock. It's just a lightweight skeleton typical of chassis guns these days.

Now, it IS an AR interface. Says so, not just looking and speculating. So you could change it to any number of things if you hate it. The PRS is a very good stock that works a lot like a typical adjustable precision rifle stock, and is at the shortest fairly long as well.

Here's a T3 from this thread with a PRS stock on it (though also with a totally different chassis, but whatevs):
DSC_3614.jpg

How to tell if you like it? Get it and sell if you hate :) I hated the stock that came with my XLR chassis, but sold it for no loss, and replaced it with another AR interface stock as I had shot enough nice .308 ARs that I knew it would work.

More than the AR stock bits will be the change to a separate pistol grip and butt in general. I would also agree you at least need to spend a lot of time fondling in gun stores, and ideally need to get a couple live trigger pulls behind a gun of that approximate setup before you switch to that mode entirely. It is different.