• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR Tactical 15x power scope

JeffNC

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2021
New Hampshire, USA
My son is currently putting together an AR to shoot AR tactical (5.56 out to 600 for those unfamiliar). I am trying to dig into the best optic for him to use without spending $2000 on it. I am mil so can get some things for that obviously.

My current list would be between NF SHV, Trijicon Credo, or GPO. For pricing likely the Credo as I’m not super concerned with FFP vs SFP since he will be dialing every time anyways. Thoughts on if the NF would be worth the extra $ vs the Trijicon or GPO? Are there any key scopes I am missing that would bracket around that same pricing?

Edit: missed that he can only go to 15x max due to the rules.

Last edited:
If he plans to compete with it and especially with .223/5.56 out to 600 yards reading wind and using the reticle to determine follow up shots will be a must. With that said, i would only be considering Mil based reticles/turrets.

Not a model you mentioned but I have had good luck with my Vortex Viper gen 2 3-15. I have it on a 18” AR and shoot it regularly to 700 yards dialing most shots past 200 yards. You should be able to find one for a great price and that would allow you to spend more on ammo and other components for competing.

If he plans to compete with it and especially with .223/5.56 out to 600 yards reading wind and using the reticle to determine follow up shots will be a must. With that said, i would only be considering Mil based reticles/turrets.

Not a model you mentioned but I have had good luck with my Vortex Viper gen 2 3-15. I have it on a 18” AR and shoot it regularly to 700 yards dialing most shots past 200 yards. You should be able to find one for a great price and that would allow you to spend more on ammo and other components for competing.
I looked at the viper but wasn’t super thrilled with the way it looked for clarity vs say the credo. He’s shooting into standard carriage targets so no chance of spotting impact at 600 unfortunately. The range we are at is using shot marker.

Vortex is crapola. Credo is decent but the reticle is a little thick depending on target size. You might look at a Burris XTR3 3-18, that's a lot of scope for the money.

Reactions: simonp
I only offered up my take of the Vortex because I do not have experience with the other optics you listed. Plenty of reviews on the options you gave around the site. Do your research here, and get prices from our vendors here, most of them will help you out.

Great glass, good price. Turret and zero-stop feel solid, smooth, and consistent. They're built in Japan...I think by LOW (same folks who build the Vortex Razors, and NF & Trijicon glass comes from).

Just ordered 2 of the 6-24x50 versions for my hunting rifles, while they're on a "one-time-only" sale for $350 off MSRP...

Vortex is crapola. Credo is decent but the reticle is a little thick depending on target size. You might look at a Burris XTR3 3-18, that's a lot of scope for the money.
I’d have the do the XTR II as he’s only allowed 15x max power =\. Planning to see if Bass Pro has that one available to look at. Read a lot of things saying there was a good bit of CA and clarity issues on the XTR II to treading carefully there.

They limit the max power?

gay-pride-flag-non-binary.gif

I'm not familiar with AR Tactical, but I shot XTC/High-power for years (with and without a scope). when the rules allowed scopes it was only 4x at the time and it was a game changer. Again, not familiar with the course of fire, targets sizes, scoring and rules, but most were using MOA as that is what all of the iron sights were based on. If AR tactical shoots at known distances as opposed to unknown distances I don't think there would be much of a difference between MOA/MIL or 1/2 FFP .... it would be a matter of come ups or hold overs. If your good at reading wind, dialing or hold offs are not that complicated either.

Lots of great choices for any budget out there, but the three you have mentioned are pretty good scopes ... I'd focus on the reticle that best supports the mission as well as repeatable wind/elev adjustments and good mounts.

I'm not familiar with AR Tactical, but I shot XTC/High-power for years (with and without a scope). when the rules allowed scopes it was only 4x at the time and it was a game changer. Again, not familiar with the course of fire, targets sizes, scoring and rules, but most were using MOA as that is what all of the iron sights were based on. If AR tactical shoots at known distances as opposed to unknown distances I don't think there would be much of a difference between MOA/MIL or 1/2 FFP .... it would be a matter of come ups or hold overs. If your good at reading wind, dialing or hold offs are not that complicated either.

Lots of great choices for any budget out there, but the three you have mentioned are pretty good scopes ... I'd focus on the reticle that best supports the mission as well as repeatable wind/elev adjustments and good mounts.
Your not far off. X is still 1MOA(ish) for this and it’s known distance of 200-300-600. No need for elevation holds which is nice for him as a new shooter. Just worry about wind which isn’t normally too bad in NH. Let him get his skills there and grow into his abilities.

Reactions: Oryx
I’d have the do the XTR II as he’s only allowed 15x max power =\. Planning to see if Bass Pro has that one available to look at. Read a lot of things saying there was a good bit of CA and clarity issues on the XTR II to treading carefully there.

If you weren't thrilled by the 3-15 PST glass you'll likely be disappointed with the XTR2.

If I were limited by 15x magnification I'd be going with the PST 3-15, I've had very good mileage out of my one, there isn't much else in the <$1000 range I'd choose over the PST Gen2.

Reactions: sparky702
I shoot prs gas gun matches and have been running a 3x15 gen 2 vortex for a year now . several places still have close out deals on the ones with the old reticle . I got into one for around 525.00 . I like it very much the reticle on 3x is very usable , on 15x I have no issue's at 700 yds thats the farthest range we shoot plus the scope is not very heavy and has 10 mils come up per revolution .