• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR to 50 BMG upper conversions

Coyote3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2008
Wyoming T.S.
Does anyone have any of these neat little buggers. Looked at Bohica's setup and looks to be good. Looked at Ferret 50 and emailed them. They look to be a good setup also. Then there's one more that looks about the same setup as the two above. The fourth one I found was Watsons breakopen style. Kinda looks like a pain in the ass to load. What the opinion on these. Likes and Dislikes in comparison... Thanks...

Re: AR to 50 BMG upper conversions

I had an AR 50, and am not familiar with the couple setups your are asking about, but a friend of mine has an extremely nice 50 upper conversion. He loves his ALS 50 upper. It is accurate enough to win 1000 yard matches, and is comfortable to shoot. I shot it a couple times. I think you would be very happy with one. This is there website. http://www.50bmg.net/

I have a Ferret 50. Both the upper as well as the chromoly lower with monopod.Very pleased. Dave Moore is outstanding. I have owned McMillan, Barrett and State Arms. I have no problem whatsover recommending the Ferret system.

I own a Bohica Arms FAR-50 Mk-III. From a build quality and customer service standpoint... Its hard to beat. I have not had enough time to get proper accuracy testing done, but I have confirmed it to be MOA with Igman ball out to 500yds.

Very sound design and incredible machining work. Very effective brake, and tons of options!

I did some video shooting my 24" Bohica and my father shooting his 30" Bohica.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VdiYq4uJZNo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VdiYq4uJZNo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trpr154</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had an AR 50, and am not familiar with the couple setups your are asking about, but a friend of mine has an extremely nice 50 upper conversion. He loves his ALS 50 upper. It is accurate enough to win 1000 yard matches, and is comfortable to shoot. I shot it a couple times. I think you would be very happy with one. This is there website. http://www.50bmg.net/ </div></div> This is the other company I was referring to. It looks as if they are very well built pieces of hardware. Is he shooting custom solid brass projos or something else. Just can't decide on what caliber to buy.

I know of a guy that was nearly killed by an ALS firing out of battery. Look close at the ALS design. The bolt goes in from the back of the receiver. When it fired out of battery, the whole works came out the back and ended up tearing his eye out... and put a fist-sized hole in his chest.

They have a reputation for being accurate though. I went on a mission to find the best 50BMG upper for me. I have fired just about all of them. After shooting both the ALS and Bohica side by side... I still like the Bohica better.

The Bohica receiver is solid, and it has a mechanical safety mechanism built in to ensure it doesn't fire out of battery. It hasn't won any matches as of yet, but with the flood of uppers hitting the market... I don't imagine that its very far off.

Reactions: deersniper

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Coyote3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trpr154</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had an AR 50, and am not familiar with the couple setups your are asking about, but a friend of mine has an extremely nice 50 upper conversion. He loves his ALS 50 upper. It is accurate enough to win 1000 yard matches, and is comfortable to shoot. I shot it a couple times. I think you would be very happy with one. This is there website. http://www.50bmg.net/ </div></div> This is the other company I was referring to. It looks as if they are very well built pieces of hardware. Is he shooting custom solid brass projos or something else. Just can't decide on what caliber to buy. </div></div>

My friend used to live in Oregon. He got to know Darren, the builder of the ALS decently well. His ALS is actually the one pictured on the ALS home page. He shoots 750gr AMAX out of his 50. That was what Darren recommended. I hadn't ever heard about an ALS going off out of battery. The bolt in the AR50 is inserted from the rear of the receiver. If you have questions, give them a call. As far as caliber, I can't help you much. The only one I've shot is the 50.

I just talked to my friend. I asked him about the chance of a ALS going off out of battery. He said, the ALS will not fire if the bolt is not locked down. When he picked up his ALS from Darren, Darren told him that was one of the safety features built into the rifle.

You're right. But my main complaint is that there is only one place for the bolt to go if it goes off out of battery.

The guy that got blown up, indicated that it was probably a stuck firing pin. Could have been faulty primers too... or a combination of the two.

Doesnt change that a true test of a design is what happens when something goes wrong. I keep that in mind when I'm looking at new designs. Especially ones that I'll be touching off 220gr+ of powder with.

ALS has been around, and they have quite a following. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind... just expressing my opinion. You can take it or leave it.

I do know that no one has been blown up by a Bohica, or many of the other 50 uppers.

a little institutional memory here.......

in the first Black and white printed issues of 50cal shooters assoc magazine there were always pictures of these guys shooting their 50's w/mallets and plastic hammers laying next to the rifles....there was a reason for that......its called hang-fires and miss-fires.....the mallet was used to beat on the gun before you lifted the bolt if nothing happened when you yanked on the trigger.....

prolly saved some folks pretty faces and upper body extremities.

If I ever have a hang-fire... I wait 2 minutes while in the fire position. ... Then I carefully pop the takedown pin and manually re-cock the hammer.

Heavy hammer, and heavy hammer spring helps avoid having to do that... even on hard primers.

Not trying to start anything orkan. Just giving my two cents, also. I figure like you said, We all give the most factual information, and opinion that we have, and then let them decide.

Safety is paramount. With that I don't disagree.

Thank you for the information. The Bohica was first choice, followed by the ALS, but now the Safety Harbor looks like a pretty good piece of hardware also. Gonna have to look into the Safety Harbor a little more....

I have a far 50 in just over the 500 ser # I like and coated the brake in tan cerkote . It shoots well and just need to shoot it more I pay around 6.00 a round for match ammo since I live on the bering sea. I am trying to get it to shoot 1 moa but still trying. Chris was great it was a 9 month wait to get my upper so he upgraded a fluted barrel and alum hand guard for free about a 425.00 upgrade I was happy for sure regards. Kim