• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing ar trigger help.

jfd0913

Private
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2009
tyler ,tx.
hey i am new to the ars but i have a dpms ar-15 and a dpms panther lr308. i am wanting to know the best and cheapest way to make my triggers lighter with less pull. i am new to the ars but i am pretty good with all other guns so ars should be much different. i can tear it all the way down and back togather with out a problem so let me know what yall think.

Re: ar trigger help.

You can get a JP spring kit, but I would spend the coin to get the complete trigger kit, its the closest thing to a 1911 trigger in a AR you can get, and its safe, wont go full auto on you

will the yellow be enought that i will be able to bang even surplus ammo with the harder primers? i have read that the yellow springs wernt enough umph for those.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jfd0913</div><div class="ubbcode-body">will the yellow be enought that i will be able to bang even surplus ammo with the harder primers? i have read that the yellow springs wernt enough umph for those. </div></div>

yes

ok thanks that may be what i try. i would like to get the same 3lb pull i had out of my kimber with both but i just cant go spend the 300 a piece for a complete new trigger.

there are two threads on ar10 and ar triggers in general going at the moment. look thru the semi and gunsmith srections. they list a link to a few things you can do on your own with some rubbing compound and trimming a stock spring. then after that there is replacing the springs with lighter ones. and then for $40 you can get a decent trigger job done. and after that you just gotta pick a trigger. $100-$120 and up to $300 ish i think

I like Timney best for single stage and Geiselle best for match 2 stage. JP would be my third choice for complete kits.

If you are going to stone the factory parts, I would recommend re-surface heat treating them.

i would have them stoned. i am not quite confident enough to do all of that.
i will look up the threads i have read alot about the 15 min trigger job.
i have just heard alot of good and bad of useing this system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Storm Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like Timney best for single stage and Geiselle best for match 2 stage. JP would be my third choice for complete kits.

If you are going to stone the factory parts, I would recommend re-surface heat treating them. </div></div>

Although I agree with the above I would only get into stoning if you have spare trigger parts lying around at your disposal, especially if you've never stoned an AR trigger before.

If all you want is a lighter pull and a little less creep I'd recommend this:
15 minute AR trigger job

Not gonna cost you any money and (if done properly) is 100% reliable. No removing heat treating on the sear surface nothing. I have over 13000 rounds on my colt trigger with this trigger job and it's been fine (so far).

If not then what Storm Tactical suggested about the Timney and the GA is spot on.

Or you could do what BOLTRIPPER suggested with the JP springs. One way is a "DIY" the other is an easy swap of springs.

i was hoping for someone local. at least around texas. unless i could find a trigger to just buy and keep mine as a back up. if anyone has a old factory they would like to get rid of i would be interested in that as well. i might just do the 15 min thing and wait to get some extra cash to buy a whole new ass.

If you have access to a kiln and some Kasenit, here is what a budget surface treat looks like...

kiln1.jpg

kiln2.jpg

since you mentioned it, ill have the trigger, hammer & everything but the pins available after i get my timney. i should keep it as spares, but i could sell it too. PM me if your interested. id go 15 minute deal, then springfield, then start spending

Installed a timney in my DPMS .308 because I wanted to try and save a buck or two.

Wrong answer, damn thing started double firing on me and failing to fire on the first range trip.

Had it replaced by timney, then sold that one. Got a giessele DMR and never looked back. no comparison.