• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR trigger problems

TNT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2006
Arlington, VA
Interesting thing happened to me today that I've never experienced before. I changed out the stock on my AR-15 from an A2 to a Magpul UBR stock, and changed the buffer to a dpms heavy buffer and CS flatwire spring. Until this change I never had any trigger problems. Since the change, I get hangups in the trigger (RRA NM 2 stage) where I take up the slack on the first stage, and then the second stage is abnormally light, I hear a click, but then rifle does not fire. Then if I keep applying pressure the to trigger, the rifle will fire. Sometimes the rifle won't fire until I press down extremely hard on the trigger, probably about 10 pounds or more. I wasn't able to diagnost the problem in my short time at the range today, but am wondering if I might have messed up the trigger somehow.
The problem was sporadic. If I dry fire a lot, the trigger goes back to normal for a few shots, then hangs up again. One thing that happened before this problem occured, within the first few rounds with the new setup, my buffer tube came loose and the metal nipple that holds the buffer in the tube popped out and got gummed up in the trigger area. The spring underneath the nipple got really hosed up, but I was able to put everything back together with a little work.
I doubt it's a gas problem, unless overgassing the rifle is the problem. My brass was flying about 3-5 ft in the 2-3 o'clock position consistently.

Re: AR trigger problems

Put the original buffer spring back in and try it with the flat wire spring.
Check to make sure flat wire spring is not binding against the hammer.

trigger problems require you look for problems in the fire control group....my experience has shown that everything from blown primers to shaved brass show up the the trigger group and gives a hairball.....it ain't the buffer spring

BT is right . I wasn't saying the buffer spring was problem.

My suggestion was go back with what had before and see if you still was still having this problem.