• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR Trigger: Single or Two Stage?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I've read some comments here, including the trigger test, on AR single and 2 stage triggers. What I have not seen so much of, is that for shooting from a bench or prone, in a non-competition environment, is whether the single or 2 stage is preferred. I am looking for top accuracy out of a .223 AR-15 and a .308 AR-10. I intend to buy a top quality trigger, but not sure which design (single or 2 stage) is really best suited for the kind of shooting I will be doing. ???

- Phil

Re: AR Trigger: Single or Two Stage?

It's really personal preference. I prefer a single stage for everything, but can still get along with a 2 stage. My AR has a 2 stage as I had one sitting around and it was a definate improvement over the factory trigger.

I have tried a few types.

JP, Accuracy Speaks, CMC and AR-Gold single stage.

Geiselle, KM, Knights and RR two stage.

For me I like a two stage. Geiselle all the way.

personally I enjoy my 2 stage (LMT) for controlled range work. Under stress (comp or class) or for work I only use a heavier single stage.

I prefer the two stage as I get constant bump fires (sometimes in strings of three) with my single stage JP trigger. I'll soon be replacing my JR for a two stage like my other AR.

the purist in many here will try to replicate as best possible a tweeked long-gun trigger.....so as not having to learn other more distinct muscle memory tricks........

I've got a Timney single stage I just bought 2 weeks ago. I will be selling it very soon, I'm not a fan.

The problem is that a single-stage in an AR inherently HAS to have creep and overtravel in order to properly function, whereas a 2-stage can have a very crisp second stage and still function beautifully.

Geissele will be getting my money next week or so.

-matt

I guess I ought to install that brand new Geissele trigger I have had laying around now for weeks. Even though I am not a fan of two stage triggers for hunting purposes, I wanted to see what the Geissele was all about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monteboy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a Timney single stage I just bought 2 weeks ago. I will be selling it very soon, I'm not a fan.

The problem is that a single-stage in an AR inherently HAS to have creep and overtravel in order to properly function, whereas a 2-stage can have a very crisp second stage and still function beautifully.

Geissele will be getting my money next week or so.

-matt </div></div>

I had heard that the AR design does not lend itself well to single stage trigger, and that very light trigger pull weights may not be safe in an AR. The following is from White Oak Precision on single stage ARs.

You will never get a single stage trigger on an AR that will stand up to the constant use of a competitive HP rifle unless it has a lot of creep, and I don't think you want that. The ONLY way to reduce creep in any of the single stage AR triggers is by reducing sear engagement. By time you get the sear engagement to the point that you do not have any noticable creep, you do not have enough left for reliability. For the casual shooter who shoots 500 rounds a year, or for the guy who likes to shoot little groups off a bench and can readjust his trigger ever shooting session, that may be fine. However, the HP shooter needs a trigger that breaks the same every time, and a trigger that can make it through at least two weeks of the nationals, preferably a whole season, without having to tinker with it. Also, if you get the creep down to a point where you do not have any perceivable trigger movement when you break the shot, the safety is not going to be reliable. The safety in an AR blocks trigger movement, not the hammer. If you only have .010" of trigger movement, then you are going to have to have the safety within .010 of the trigger when in the safe position. This is a little tougher than just removing the safety.

I don't know enough about the triggers operate to see how applicable this would be in my shooting environment. - Phil

I agree with the above post. A 2 stage is the only safe way of having a clean crisp
break for all around purposes.

I have Geissele triggers in 3 AR's. 2 of their DMR triggers and one service. All have excellent pull.

I'm happy with the JP single stage, no problems at all. I get a lot of positive comments from people who have shot my gun.

I personally want all my guns to function as similarly as possible, and since all my bolt guns are single stage I don't want to have to 'remember' what is what.

I've got JP's and Geiselle's (Sp?). One of my JP's has over 15K of hard running USPSA type shooting on it with no issues other than having to replace the springs recently. The JP's are set at about 3.5 crisp pounds with no creep. Geiselle's are in match rifle and service rifle weights.

Both require a little gunsmithing to get them right, but you can't go wrong with either.