• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

AR tuorial for non AR guys

danb303

Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Alabama
Someone give us non AR guys a run down on what brands to look for and what brands to stay away from. I am wanting to get one before they outlaw them

I have a RRA set up for varmint hunting. I want more of a tactical version. I saw the Remington one and like it (small and light) but I want a colapdable stock and a threaded barrel.

Any advise?

Thanks

Re: AR tuorial for non AR guys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: danb303</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Any advise?

</div></div>

Right now.....Buy whatever you can find.

If you're only going to have one tactical AR for the rest of your life (assuming the douchenozzles in DC pass another AWB), here's what I'd be looking for (in no specific order):

- Noveske
- LWRC
- LMT
- POF
- Colt
- Frankenguns built with high quality parts

I'm partial with the first two, but wouldn't think twice about owning the others. The last option is something that may come up on the AR15 or Hide for sale forums. My Frankengun is a great shooter and super reliable. As it stands, I wouldn't trade that gun for any on the list above, simply because I know it shoots where I point it and eats what I feed it. Those are the guns you can't live without.

You'll get a lot of similar lists with some variability. Here's mine, also in no particular order. This list leans more to high-round count chrome-lined carbines versus more precision oriented rifles. Any of these should run well right out of the box with any .223/5.56 ammo you can find and include top quality parts across the board.

My top choices for complete carbines
-BCM
-Daniel Defense
-Colt
-LMT
-Noveske
-Knight's Armament

Other very good options
-Rainier Arms (RUC uses DD barrels)
-Sionics (smaller, newer company)
-Rifle Gear (Also uses DD barrels)
-LaRue Tactical (SS barrels)
-Some S&W carbines

A build can be very high quality, just make sure it is by someone who knows what they're doing and why they are choosing particular parts.

In the current environment, getting a lower in any shape or form is the first challenge (stripped, assembled, or part of a complete rifle) and no one can say if/when it is going to be easier. If you absolutely want something, you can't be picky now. I think there will be better prices and availability in the next 6 months, but don't quote me on that.

I am afraid the government WILL act. I figure it will be a similiar law to the one passed in 1994.
I really want a short light weight 223/556 set up. I enjoy shooting my RRA but it has a 24" barrel and a 16x scope. It is heavy. So I am looking for something on the oppisite end of the spectrum.

Thanks, I will be checking these out

It is hard to know what will and will not transpire with the government (bunch of reactionary, clueless clowns that they are). That said my current tactical carbine is a Daniel Defense 14" with permanently attached BattleComp compensator (is that redundant?), Magpul AFG with CTR stock. I use a Blue Force gear sling attached with QD swivel mounts. Also just switched from a T1 to a 1-4 because it is as fast as the red-dot yet I can reach out an touch someone if needed. The only "tweaks" (because my agency frowns on anything other than accommodations for lefties) to the weapon are a Battle Arms Development - Ambidextrous Safety Selector and a Magpul B.A.D. Lever® - Battery Assist Device.

All of my AR style rifles are one brand... Spikes Tactical. Of course, I work for them so I'm a bit bias. But honestly, I've been trading firearms for 30+ years and have owned no less than 50 AR's from many different manufacturers and for the money I really think we make the best out there. Some are better, but also more expensive. Many are not as nice and cost the same as ours.
That said, good luck finding one at a reasonable price right now. We were 8-12 months back ordered before all this craziness!

Does Barrett make lowers? Or rather, does LMT make Barrett marked lowers? I have a Barrett marked upper (which I'm told LMT manufactures), and I'd like to match it with a lower.