• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AR upper building voodoo

quacktastic

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2006
Atlanta, GA
if i have a quality Stripped Upper, a Premium barrel reamed by a pro, and the right parts, is there any thing that a very good gunsmith can do to make the upper more accurate than what a somewhat skilled individual (myself) could do with proper assembly?

i'll find out soon enough, i guess.

Just wanted to know if my JP upper with 260 bartlein barrel will shoot as well as my GAP10 if i'm the one who puts it together. if the answer is no, where are the shortcomings? is the GAP10 greater than the sum of it's parts, because mine shoots like it is...?

Re: AR upper building voodoo

I would think the same principles apply in regards to the bolt locking up consistently. I know some barrel makers offer fitted bolts with the barrel, how much it matters--no clue.
Other than that, make sure the barrel nut torque is in spec and be mindful of the muzzle device not being ape wrenched on. When I had my WOA barrel, I used a Vortex which was hand tight. The "clamp" style would be a nice choice also.

Mark