• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR upper question

Re: AR upper question

I did on my Kreiger barreled AR.

Did it make a difference? I have no idea. But when I did it I was amazed at how "off" it was. I used a CMT upper and one side of the receiver face went to bare metal before the adjacent side just started to get "scuffed".

I just did 100% truing (just enough so it shows bare aluminum) on the receiver face.

I know some AR smiths do true the receiver and that the Larue billet stealth upper receiver is "true".

good custom builders do it and some of the better AR upper receivers are already true as indicated

I usually do it on what is supposed to be a pecision build. I also do it when I can't quite get the barrel nut to line up right without over torquing the nut. At least a couple of the bigger names in AR assembly have said that lapping is a waste of time, but for me, in at least a couple of instances, it was the difference between a MOA rifle and a sub MOA rifle.

Thanks guys. This is something I've been curious about since I built my 20" AR a couple of years ago. It shoots very close to MOA but I didn't know if I should try this to get it to shoot better or trash the DPMS barrel and get a shilen or kreiger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Togeneral99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. This is something I've been curious about since I built my 20" AR a couple of years ago. It shoots very close to MOA but I didn't know if I should try this to get it to shoot better or trash the DPMS barrel and get a shilen or kreiger. </div></div>

Well, it wouldn't hurt to try it out. The tool is relatively inexpensive:

Brownells AR15 lapping tool

I used their #800 grit lapping compound. The pilot of the tool (where it slides into the receiver) was very tight with the CMT upper I have even with generous amounts of lubrication.

My only gripe is that Brownells should have cut the shank of the tool (where the drill attaches) with a couple flats so the chuck can grab it better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pupdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, it wouldn't hurt to try it out. The tool is relatively inexpensive:

I used their #800 grit lapping compound. The pilot of the tool (where it slides into the receiver) was very tight with the CMT upper I have even with generous amounts of lubrication.

My only gripe is that Brownells should have cut the shank of the tool (where the drill attaches) with a couple flats so the chuck can grab it better.

</div></div>
Thanks
I'll have to give this a look although the one's I've seen look relatively easy to make (got a lathe in the basement
laugh.gif
) Did you do anything to the mating side of the barrel extension or just trust that it was square to the bore of the barrel and go with it?

Thanks again!
Wes

I had wondered about this very thing. Seemed like it could be a worthwhile trick for squeezing a touch more accuracy from the gun.

I do it but I'm just paranoid, and want to take the human out of the equation as much as possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Togeneral99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pupdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, it wouldn't hurt to try it out. The tool is relatively inexpensive:

</div></div>
Thanks
I'll have to give this a look although the one's I've seen look relatively easy to make (got a lathe in the basement
laugh.gif
) Did you do anything to the mating side of the barrel extension or just trust that it was square to the bore of the barrel and go with it?

Thanks again!
Wes </div></div>

I didn't do anything to the barrel extension. I got a kreiger from Frank White at Compass Lake. Frank does the work himself. I trust his judgment, skill, and of course his reputation to know that the barrel I got from him was done right, and that there are no "accuracy affecting details" that were overlooked.

By truing the receiver I know for sure the barrel nut is exerting the same amount of tension between the barrel extension flange and the receiver face through out the whole circumference.

Again, whether this made a difference or not I have no data, I have no idea.

The rifle did "seem" to get more consistent on paper after the truing, then again there are too many other variables to come to an accurate conclusion.

Just wondering where the Vltor upper falls in the mix? Is it trued from the factory or not? Also does anyone know what les baer (sp) does to get the accuracy from his rifles? Also Robert whitley seems to be getting great results too. I should add Frank white in there too he made a kick azz AR Service Rifle for me. Surely there are other accuracy enhancing techniques.??? (Besides receiver face trueing) what are they and how much difference can each amount too?

I was reading an article in SGN that was written by Arrington Accuracy Works, and it outlined some of the things that he did to this soldier's rifle to enhance reliability and accuracy.
He:
*Fitted a Kriger heavy barrel
*Polished the back of the bolt to reduce carbon buildup and create uniform gas pressure throughout the system
*Set the lugs on the bolt to within .0015" with the bbl. extension
*Installed a NM 2-stage trigger and lapped and stoned the sear surfaces
*Used a heavier buffer to hold lockup longer
*Did away with the taper pins to reduce internal stress into the bore
*11º Crown on the muzzle

This is what was listed in the article and his reasoning for doing these things, I have no idea if they work or not.

You're not gonna get any more accuracy that way. gimmick. Barrel, bolt fit, bullets: that's what matters the most by far.