• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR vs. Bolt

bbsj

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2009
Bossier City, LA
I was looking for a varmit round and with all the advice from hide I will go with the .243. Now do I go with AR style are Bolt action and why?

Thanks in advance.

Re: AR vs. Bolt

There are a number of AR platforms now that are sub moa and getting close to the accuracy of bolt action rifles. I like semi auto personally as i do not intend to engage a target beyond 800 meters. Also, I like having the ability to re-engage a target quickly. The downside is my POF MRR 308 20" is a heavy weapon and not fun to tote.

If an AR platform is your choice you should look at the following:

GAP (I saw a thread recently that they were well behind)
RND Edge
POF
LWRC
Texas Brigade Armory
Knights
Also, I was looking at a SR25 (308) worked over by GAP currently for sell
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...648#Post1272648

What do you "like" to shoot.

On a one-way range, that's what it comes down to. I prefer bolt action rifles over semi-autos. I just like the solid feel and the locking action of the bolt. Unless the mission dictates otherwise I prefer the bolt action.

Another splendid AR smith I'm familiar with is Controlled Chaos Arms. The owner happens to be a member here as well.

On the bolt side we make a quick caliber changing rifle that can swap from .243 win to .260 rem to .308 win to .338 fed all by changing barrels and ammo. Same mag, same bolt, change calibers within 30 sec.

Granted and recongized that semi's can put the lead out faster, our rifle can also pack up in a backpack and be assembled at will within 15 to 30 sec. without any tools (except your hands).

If I may ask, please check out Nemesisarms.com for a truly unique rifle that will add to your collection and help with long range removal.

David