• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 .243 sub-300 yd bullet rec

Salo

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2024
Mid-Atlantic
I'm in the process of building an upper for an existing AR10, and am barreling it in .243 due to having the dies and plenty of existing brass on hand. Twist is going to be 7.5. The local range that I belong to is 300 yds or less max distance to target. I'm looking for recommendations on bullets that can be loaded to lengths that won't interfere with mag function and are suitable for this relatively modest range; this is paper-punching and steel plates, only. My first inclination is to use something like a Hornady BTHP 105. I'd like to get some suggestions before I lay out funds for bullets. Thanks for your time.

Pretty much anything 6mm would work. What are your plans for it away from the range?

If you have a .243 already, then you should try your existing bullets to see how they perform.

70gr. - 87gr weight range is awesome for coyotes as well as accuracy on paper.
105’s are great too.

Good luck, post up your results!

Also, be sure to get an Adjustable Gas Block!

Last edited:
Just curious, why ?
Magazine length. Even decent 95gr options will be at the limits of the magazines. I get it's a short range gun but if it's so short range, 6mm is the wrong choice to begin with. 6mm can be super finicky in an AR10 and 243 Win is too long to take advantage of most of the 6mm strengths.

Reactions: Jsp556 and st1650
Magazine length. Even decent 95gr options will be at the limits of the magazines. I get it's a short range gun but if it's so short range, 6mm is the wrong choice to begin with. 6mm can be super finicky in an AR10 and 243 Win is too long to take advantage of most of the 6mm strengths.
I see, that make sense actually.

Strictly for paper and steel at the local range. I have shot .243 Win in commercial (FN) Mauser 98 bolt actions for many years, also target work only, but the bullets that I have on hand are longer and of different profile than I believe will perform as intended in the AR. The relatively long box mag length used with Mauser 98 actions built around short action cartridges is still longer than the industry standard these days (at least, from what I have seen), so longer bullets are used to good effect. I do hunt, but with larger caliber cartridges, and generally only with my bolt action rifles.

I'll give those Bergers a try and will look at similar profiles and lengths from other manufacturers.

I've been shooting my LR 243 for several years, to include a few PRS matches, and love it. 24" X-Caliber barrel, rifle-length gas system with SLR AGB, PRS stock, and tungsten weighted buffer (9.5 oz). Shoots like a dream with 95 SMKs and IMR 4895 rounds loaded to mag-length (2.820"). Only thing I'd do differently on my next barrel is go to a Rifle+2" gas tube (have R+2" on my LR308 and like the extra lock time).
I've tried heavier bullets (103s, 105s, 107s) but find the added bullet jump a detriment to accuracy with no real benefit at distance with higher BC but slower MV. The 95 grain SMKs are a good combination of MV, BC, and bullet jump. I can still use the lighter bullets for shorter ranges but the 95s let me stretch it out to 800-1000 yards.

Reactions: st1650
Thank you; that's a lot of very valuable info. I'll be using an adjustable gas block, and Rifle +2. Good to know that the 95s are a better fit than the 105s. The barrel on order is an X-Caliber, as it happens. I'll have to locate some IMR 4895. I had planned on using H4350.

I've been shooting my LR 243 for several years, to include a few PRS matches, and love it. 24" X-Caliber barrel, rifle-length gas system with SLR AGB, PRS stock, and tungsten weighted buffer (9.5 oz). Shoots like a dream with 95 SMKs and IMR 4895 rounds loaded to mag-length (2.820"). Only thing I'd do differently on my next barrel is go to a Rifle+2" gas tube (have R+2" on my LR308 and like the extra lock time).
I've tried heavier bullets (103s, 105s, 107s) but find the added bullet jump a detriment to accuracy with no real benefit at distance with higher BC but slower MV. The 95 grain SMKs are a good combination of MV, BC, and bullet jump. I can still use the lighter bullets for shorter ranges but the 95s let me stretch it out to 800-1000 yards.
When I was shooting a 243 in a short action with a coal limited mag, I did have great success with the 87 VMAX.

Reactions: Bigtrucknut
Thank you; that's a lot of very valuable info. I'll be using an adjustable gas block, and Rifle +2. Good to know that the 95s are a better fit than the 105s. The barrel on order is an X-Caliber, as it happens. I'll have to locate some IMR 4895. I had planned on using H4350.
I just recently picked up a can of IMR4350 to try. Haven't made any ammo up yet though.