• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 308 fast twist upper

tactic-als

Jawa Reaper
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2008
PA
Looking for a complete upper 308 Win, 10.5" or 12.5" that has a twist rate faster than 1:10. Preferably 1:8 ....but 1:9 should be acceptable.

Does anyone know a reputable outlet for such an item? Every place I've researched only offers 1:10 and that has proven to NOT fully stabilize the HEAVY subsonic rounds I have. I do have a Desert Tech with 16" barrel that is 1:8 twist and performed awesome out to 300 yards with the subsonic 240's. Would really like to have something similar in an AR10 platform.

Looking for a complete upper 308 Win, 10.5" or 12.5" that has a twist rate faster than 1:10. Preferably 1:8 ....but 1:9 should be acceptable.

Does anyone know a reputable outlet for such an item? Every place I've researched only offers 1:10 and that has proven to NOT fully stabilize the HEAVY subsonic rounds I have. I do have a Desert Tech with 16" barrel that is 1:8 twist and performed awesome out to 300 yards with the subsonic 240's. Would really like to have something similar in an AR10 platform.

Did a quick google search for "fast twist AR-10 barrel", and this was one of the first results. Might be worth looking into.

I know the uppers that LaRue sells are also 1:8 twist at least for the 18in. That requires an SR25/M110/LMT type lower though.

Kinda a secondary follow up question. I’m building a AR .308. I want a do it all very accurate hunting/ranch/3gun. With that in mind I’m wanting to be able to hunt large game with a 200gr bullet but also super flat long range 125gr bullet. I’m going to be using a heavy barrel probably stainless steel lined. What twist rate would be best?

Whose brand / pattern lower are you using ?
Since there is no milspec guidelines for LFAR's... it might be easier to buy the barrel and then use a compatible upper.

Reactions: Charmingmander
More than likely Aero Precision Mil Spec. I see all the big brands doing a 1:10. It would that still be good stabilizing quality ammo from 125gr to 200gr!

So why don't you just pick up a 300 blackout upper and drop it on an ar15 lower and shoot all the heavy sub-sonics you want ? I have killed deer with 220 grain sub-sonics and 190 grain sub-sonics . you are restricted to the speed of sound and the blackout will get you there easy enough . accurate 1680 powder will work fine especially in a gas gun . Then you can build what ever 308 super blaster you want and not have to worry about twist rate .

Trust me 300 is FOR SURE on the list to own. However the goal of the bigger 200gr+ is large game such as elk, moose or bear. Sub sonic isn’t on the palate for 308 right now. I’m aware of one bullet that claims sub sonic for 308 but I think it’s more of a half loaded casing that won’t cycle. The purpose is to do all in one. I’m more curious if there is a twist rate that will adequately stabilize from 125 to 200. I’m also aware that that may be different from barrel to barrel even same make model and length. Just curious if it’s been seen. I’m aware this is a very wide gr palate.

Trust me 300 is FOR SURE on the list to own. However the goal of the bigger 200gr+ is large game such as elk, moose or bear. Sub sonic isn’t on the palate for 308 right now. I’m aware of one bullet that claims sub sonic for 308 but I think it’s more of a half loaded casing that won’t cycle. The purpose is to do all in one. I’m more curious if there is a twist rate that will adequately stabilize from 125 to 200. I’m also aware that that may be different from barrel to barrel even same make model and length. Just curious if it’s been seen. I’m aware this is a very wide gr palate.
Sorry I got confused between your first post and the second. I will just shut up and follow the thread .