• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 6.5 creedmoor barrel life

JimmyT

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017
I have two AR10s with 6.5 creedmoor barrels. One is a 20” Noveske and the other is a 16” Wilson combat. What has been others experience with barrel life in an AR10 platform. I have heard a reference of 2.5-3k rounds for a bolt gun with reloads/ factory ammo. Since the reloads I’m shooting are 85-90% of what I use in a bolt gun, what would be the expected barrel life with the reduced loads in the semi-auto platform.

While large frame 6.5 creed loads are usually lighter than a bolt gun, you tend to fire
the semi faster than a bolt gun, at least that is what I have experienced.

Another thing is the accuracy of the entire system, this system includes you. So if the barrel
has 2600 rounds through it and shoots groups 15% larger than when it was new do you have the skill and
are you consistent enough to be affected by the reduction in accuracy.

Im going out on a limb here and say probably not.

I dont worry about wearing out barrels, when it goes it goes.

Depends on steel hardness and firing schedule.

Barts and Kriegers tend to use harder steel than Shilen and Lilja.

For the recreational shooter, this won’t matter as much as it does to the regular competitor who travels for competitions a lot. If you’re in that boat, you already have a barrel replacement schedule and blanks ordered well in-advance.

If you’re only pushing hand loads to 85-90% of 6.5CM SAAMI MAP, that’s below 6.5 Grendel performance, which operates at 12,000psi less chamber pressure and barrels last into the 20,000 round count or more. Brass will go 7-20 loadings, depending on brand and your chamber/gas system.

Now you know why I shoot my Grendels more than .260 Rem or 6.5CM. I’ve never trimmed Grendel brass either, since it just doesn’t seem to grow much (Lapua and Hornady).