• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 and DPMS question--

green338 2.0

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2012
NorCal
If I'm using a Armalite AR10 bolt carrier group and barrel (extension), do I need to use Armalite AR10 buffer and spring? Or, could I use a DPMS buffer and spring with the Armalite AR10 bolt carrier and barrel? These parts are going on a Maten build.

Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Re: AR10 and DPMS question--

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: green338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I'm using a Armalite AR10 bolt carrier group and barrel (extension), do I need to use Armalite AR10 buffer and spring? Or, could I use a DPMS buffer and spring with the Armalite AR10 bolt carrier and barrel? These parts are going on a Maten build.

Any response will be greatly appreciated. </div></div>

What specific stock/buffer tube (receiver extension) are you using?

If it is an A2 stock (or Magpul PRS or other stock using the A2 tube), then you can use any .308/7.62 rifle-length buffer and spring.

If you are going to an AR-15 carbine receiver extension so that you can run any AR-15 collapsible stock, then you'll need to get a special, shortened .308 carbine buffer such as those made by Clint Butler (a.k.a. - Slash) as seen here using one of his modified springs:

http://www.heavybuffers.com/ar10carbine.html

Good luck!

Thank you for the response!

I'm using a AR10 Magpul PRS and an A2 receiver tube. I was about to buy a DPMS buffer and spring, but got a little confused after I realized I was using an Armalite BCG and barrel extension.

Again, thanks!

Here's what I used on my Mega.

JPS-OSR 308 Buffer Spring
DPMS Receiver Extension# BS09
AR 10 Buffer Slash Heavy Buffer with Carbine Space block
MagPul PRS Stock FDE RSR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: green338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for the response!

I'm using a AR10 Magpul PRS and an A2 receiver tube. I was about to buy a DPMS buffer and spring, but got a little confused after I realized I was using an Armalite BCG and barrel extension.

Again, thanks! </div></div>

Using the PRS with the A2 RE on the 7.62 your 7.62 rifle buffer is about 3/4" shorter, 5.250 total length. The buffer spring is also different than the 5.56 rifle version.

ArmaLite or DPMS 7.62 rifle buffers should be fine for your application. When you use a collapsible stock you need to look at heavybuffers.com for the best solutions.

I have a new AR-10 rifle buffer and spring I'll sell cheap, if interested PM me.

Straight answer, yes the DPMS LR308, lower extension, and rifle buffer/spring work fine with an Armalite carrier/barrel.

It is the exact setup i used on my MaTen set.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338FedAr10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Straight answer, yes the DPMS LR308, lower extension, and rifle buffer/spring work fine with an Armalite carrier/barrel.

It is the exact setup i used on my MaTen set. </div></div>

Same here, I use the same components on my AR 10 with the PRS stock.