• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 Barrel and Bolt considerations, FAXON Match Fluted

yakmastermax

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2019
Albuquerque NM
Hello all,

Planning a 16 inch "Heavy DMR / Light SASS" .308 AR10 build. I had a couple of questions about barrel and bolt considerations. I'm hoping to build a rifle that consistently does 0.5"-0.75" five shot groups at 100 yards with some flavor of factory match ammo.

First, what sort of accuracy gains are to be had by buying a "matched" headspaced bolt and barrel set from someone like Faxon or JP? Is it fine to save money by buying an "unmatched" set from the same manufacturer? What about mixing manufacturers, say a Toolcraft BCG and a Faxon barrel?

Also does anyone have range reports or accuracy reports for the Faxon Match Fluted .308 AR10 barrels?

I had one of their "gunner/intermediate" profile .308 barrels in an older build and it was an honest 0.9" five shoot group barrel at 100 yards with 168 grain FGMM.

Thanks for the input!

The bolts I have bought in Toolcraft BCGs have all had exactly the same headspace as my JP bolt and my Criterion barrels headspace perfectly with them.

What that tells me is that the headspace standard for LR308 type barrels and bolts are pretty well known, like an AR15, headspace errors will be uncommon but check if you try a new combo.

A matched set shouldn't have any impact on accuracy because they all match unless you have parts that deviate from the standard.

The only Faxon barrel I have is a .223 with iron sights so not the best way to evaluate accuracy.

I used a Toolcraft BCG with a Faxon 18” 6.5CM Match series barrel.
It headspaced fine and shot 0.75” groups with good ammo, but I haven’t really pushed it.

Turns out the thing shoots pretty well!

Attachments

• 20190720_201706.jpg
    20190720_201706.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: Mike_in_FL
necrothread and all, but just thought it'd be worth mentioning that if you build with a Faxon barrel, I'd recommend using the Armalite AR-10 length gas tubes.

I've found that for both their 308 barrels, and the 6.5CM barrels.

Reactions: bfoosh006