• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 Build Components....

hugo121175

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2009
Near Reading, PA
Hey guys,

I am about to receive: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2374846&page=1 from POF. (POF Gen III Lower, Upper, and 11" Rail for those who don't click the link
wink.gif
)

Can you guys fill me in on where to find a bolt carrier group, and upper components to complete this upper (Gas Tube, Gas Block, Charging Handle, Forward Assist.... ect)?

I have built a ton of AR15's, but this is my first AR10.

Thanx,
Hugo

Re: AR10 Build Components....

DPMS bolt carrier group for $215 from JSE surplus.com thats cheapest i have seen. the trick is trying to get it all at one place. get as much as you can there. that way you arent paying shipping 5 times. otherwise look at midway and brownells. bravo company makes nice charging handles.

Alpha shooting sports has BCG's for 190 bucks, which was the lowest I found. However, I did see the owner on a different forum somewhere, and he refused to name the manufacturer. I don't own one myself, so I have no idea of the quality.

This is like to Easter Egg Hunt from Hell...... The AR15 market is flooder with parts, but it seem the AR10 market has been slow to react.......

I am in the same boat, I have been looking around a lot and have found some great parts sources. I would recommend fulton armory, for the bulk of the parts they have some nice products. But I don't have any first hand experience with their parts. LMT will be selling their 308 parts in the near future but i'll keep you posted if i find any good sources, and when i get my Fulton armory barrel ill let you know how it is.

Check Rainier Arms. I am building an MA-Ten and I feel your pain. I got a lot of my parts from JP Rifles, I didn't want to pay their prices but they had BCG's in stock (probably because they want a lot for them). Rainier Arms sells everything you need its just a question of whether or not they have it in stock.

Alot of AR15 parts can be used in an AR10. Gas Tube, Gas block, forward assist, trigger group, grips, buttstock, receiver extension, bolt catch (works for some, others not), lotsa same pins and springs in the lower.

I just picked up some at RRARMS, Midway and JSE. Funny that not one place has all the parts you need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Angry_Pirate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alot of AR15 parts can be used in an AR10. Gas Tube, Gas block, forward assist, trigger group, grips, buttstock, receiver extension, bolt catch (works for some, others not), lotsa same pins and springs in the lower.

I just picked up some at RRARMS, Midway and JSE. Funny that not one place has all the parts you need. </div></div>

safety too. i like R & R arms. great prices but shipping seemed high. i know the small parts i wanted would go in a padded envelope or $5 flat rate for less than the $9 they quoted me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Angry_Pirate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alot of AR15 parts can be used in an AR10. Gas Tube, Gas block, forward assist, trigger group, grips, buttstock, receiver extension, bolt catch (works for some, others not), lotsa same pins and springs in the lower.

I just picked up some at RRARMS, Midway and JSE. Funny that not one place has all the parts you need. </div></div>

safety too. i like R & R arms. great prices but shipping seemed high. i know the small parts i wanted would go in a padded envelope or $5 flat rate for less than the $9 they quoted me</div></div>

Yeah shipping was high, like $13 but I had a friggin laundry list of parts I found there for 1/3 the price of everyone else.

I'm in the same boat. I have a POF lower that I want to build up.

I say just buy the parts to go with the upper. Go get you a POF BCG and piston system and fit it to what ever barrel you want. Ohh or just send it to GAP for some pimping out!

Here's what I got:

JP Enterprices:
Enhanced Bolt Assembly (Brownell's)
JPBC-4BA Low Mass Bolt Carrier (JP Enterprices)
Bolt Carrier Completion Kit (JP Entereprices)
Adjustable Gas System (Gas Block) (Brownell's)

Fulton Armory 18.5" SS National Match Barrel (Brownell's)
PWS FSC30 Compensator (Brownell's)
DPMS Standard Gas Tube (Brownell's)
Bushmaster Low Parts kit (Brownell's)
DPMS Pardus .308 Carbine Stock w/ buffer spring & Buffer (Brownell's)

Let me know if I'm missing anything.....
wink.gif

Edited to add DPMS Forward Assit (Brownell's)

Just a heads up I went with the DPMS 308 LPK and the rear takedown pin is not sized for .308. it takes a standard ar15 rear takedown pin.

Everything else fit fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hugo121175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's what I got:

JP Enterprices:

wink.gif

Edited to add DPMS Forward Assit (Brownell's) </div></div>

Let me know how you like the JP BCG and bolt Also let me know how well they run with the fulton armory barrel, I will be going with the 16.5 with rifle gas. NM SS

take a look at the roll pins in your LPK. are they split ( "C" shaped" or coiled roll pins? I've read some people have had bad experiences with the c-shaped split pins. But I can't speak to that from personal expience.

and remember to lube the roll pins and use a good punch to get them into place!

They are the "C" shaped role pins. I have used this kit before, and use role pins starters before beating them to death.....
wink.gif

Edited to add: POF Gen III lower will not need the use of role pins since it comes with the ambi-bolt release, and intergraded trigger guard......
wink.gif

100_3820.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: upjeeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">take a look at the roll pins in your LPK. are they split ( "C" shaped" or coiled roll pins? I've read some people have had bad experiences with the c-shaped split pins. But I can't speak to that from personal expience.

and remember to lube the roll pins and use a good punch to get them into place! </div></div>

Just a note.... The Barrel Contour is "NOT" compatible with the POR MRR Barrel Nut.... You will still have to send it to a smith to have it contoured so the barrel nut will work.....
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomahawk84</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hugo121175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's what I got:

JP Enterprices:

wink.gif

Edited to add DPMS Forward Assit (Brownell's) </div></div>

Let me know how you like the JP BCG and bolt Also let me know how well they run with the fulton armory barrel, I will be going with the 16.5 with rifle gas. NM SS </div></div>

Awesome man looks good, I'll post some pics of mine when I get the stock in.

I may have to think about the barrel, how much is it going to cost, and also who are you having do the work.

I send all my stuff to Hart: http://www.hartbarrels.com/

How long it will take is anyones best guess..... Cost????? Another guess.....

Hugo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomahawk84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome man looks good, I'll post some pics of mine when I get the stock in.

I may have to think about the barrel, how much is it going to cost, and also who are you having do the work. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hugo121175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I send all my stuff to Hart: http://www.hartbarrels.com/

How long it will take is anyones best guess..... Cost????? Another guess.....

Hugo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomahawk84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome man looks good, I'll post some pics of mine when I get the stock in.

I may have to think about the barrel, how much is it going to cost, and also who are you having do the work. </div></div> </div></div>

Thanks for the Link here is a pic of mine so far, Completed lower and upper has an insight m3x on it and an AFG

Still need to get the upper parts. will be getting those soon. I really like the Vltor Imod.

Looks nice tomahawk.... Here are some pics of the Low Mass Carrier, and the Enhanced Bolt from JP Enterprise's:

100_3828.jpg

100_3826.jpg

Ok here's a question, What .308 barrels fit with the POF barrel nut, I want a 16inch barrel for 308, but I want this rifle to be at home on the bench and at home off hand for general purpose.

It looks like you'll have to send it away to have a barrel made for it..... I just dropped mine off at Hart this Friday. I'll keep you posted on time and cost.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hugo121175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like you'll have to send it away to have a barrel made for it..... I just dropped mine off at Hart this Friday. I'll keep you posted on time and cost..... </div></div>

Thanks

I got all of my upper components minus the barrel from JP and thus far I am quite impressed. I just took it out the first time yesterday and all the parts performed well. True the JP parts are more expensive, but when you are trying to achieve accuracy sometimes you pay for it
smile.gif

I would be curious to compare the JP low mass and enhanced bolt to a standard DPMS BCG and see what kind of difference there is! I would think you would see a difference in accuracy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: untouchable13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got all of my upper components minus the barrel from JP and thus far I am quite impressed. I just took it out the first time yesterday and all the parts performed well. True the JP parts are more expensive, but when you are trying to achieve accuracy sometimes you pay for it
smile.gif

I would be curious to compare the JP low mass and enhanced bolt to a standard DPMS BCG and see what kind of difference there is! I would think you would see a difference in accuracy! </div></div>

What barrel did you buy, and did it have to be modified to fit the barrel nut or the upper?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: untouchable13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would think you would see a difference in accuracy! </div></div>

Why?

I got most of my stuff at DSG Arms and the rest at Rainier
both give a military/PD discount

I read somewhere that the POF .308's use the AR-15 lower parts kit instead of the .308 parts kit. Is that correct?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firestorm1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read somewhere that the POF .308's use the AR-15 lower parts kit instead of the .308 parts kit. Is that correct? </div></div>

The only difference in the ar10 lpk and the ar15 lpk are the two take down pins and the bolt catch. However I have a MA Ten and use the standard ar15 bolt catch and the take down pins are pre-installed by mega when they fit the receivers for a match.

If POF were to install the wrong take down pins...you'd notice real fast when the gun fell apart when you picked it up cause the pins were too short

Yes, it's true..... I used the Bushmaster AR15 Lower Parts Kit. Rob at POF told me that it's the same one they use, so that's what I used.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firestorm1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read somewhere that the POF .308's use the AR-15 lower parts kit instead of the .308 parts kit. Is that correct? </div></div>

The POF barrel nut is compatible with the standard DPMS barrels except the SASS barrel. The SASS barrel is thicker at the chamber area then the standard DPMS .308 barrels. Rainier Arms barrels are suppose to be the same as the DPMS profile. That is what I will be ordering in the near future. Now I have to decide between the standard and match barrel.

Nice looking stick. Let us know how she shoots. And for goodness sake, keep your fingers etc away from that exposed gas tube. Makes me say "ouch" just to look at it!

FWIW, I think you'll really like that JP Low Mass bolt carrier. The biggest issue (for me) with AR-10 sight recovery is that massive bolt slamming back and forth. You can play with the gas with an adjustable block, but it's just something else that can, and will, eventually get out of adjustment and stop your rifle from running.

I've got a couple of John's uppers (a 260 and 308) with the low mass carrier and really like them.

I am assuming not, but does the forward assist work with that bolt carrier? It looks like it just might be able to push off of it where it steps down. But it might be just far enough away to not line up.

I have the same POF upper/lower kit as well. I am trying to decide between an Armalite BCG & compatible barrel (Rainier Match or Noveske) or to do a DPMS pattern build (Rainier budget barrel). I figure if I already have the forward assist on it, I might as well be able use it. Maybe I'll look into the gas vent for suppressor use instead.

No, the forward assist doesn't work with the low mass carriers.