• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ar10 build... what caliber?

Dave__th3__ss

Ammo prep guy
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2020
My reloading room
So wife ok'd me to build an ar10. Im just on the ropes about what to build. it will never be suppressed or an SBR cause my state fucking sucks. I wanted to do an 8.6 blk build cause its new and its weird AF. also considered a 24" 6.5 creedmoor. Plan to hunt deer and coyotes with it sub 200 yards. dont need a super long range rifle as i have a 7 prc being built and a 338 edge + p already.not to mention my primary coyote rifle is a 6arc. just looking for a fun caliber to shoot thats kind of an oddball. I like shooting weird calibers that your average person would know nothing about.

any suggestions?

30-06
well it would do anything a 308 would + run heavier bullets and I have never seen an ar in 30-06 so it gives you something unique

Last edited:
.375 raptor was an option too
I don’t have one yet, but that’s what popped into my mind. I keep debating getting a Browning BLR in it. It is pretty neat. Similar energy to an original 45-70 up close, but then extends that range.

Other options can be had easily with Wilson Combat. 358 Winchester, 7mm-08, or 243 Winchester would all be fairly unique in an AR-10, but be able to source ammo easily. Lastly, since you mentioned coyotes, maybe 22 Creedmoor. Would likely need barrels more often though:

375 Raptor may be tricky to get the gas just right for both supers and subs. But if you’re not silencing, that makes it easier.

EE2F8F6E-22E6-4C84-9B6A-8CB76D06A625.jpeg

E94EB24C-3850-45A2-B91B-8A5CCC90DDF3.jpeg

Last edited:
These sound interesting. Or what about one of the x47 Lapua rounds?
The Roberts might be a little long for the magazine. The X47 Lapua would be cool as hell but that brass is very expensive to beat up in a gas gun. The 25 Creedmoor would be a good choice on paper although it may not have the rare wow factor. I just have never seen a ar in 257 Roberts.

The Roberts might be a little long for the magazine. The X47 Lapua would be cool as hell but that brass is very expensive to beat up in a gas gun. The 25 Creedmoor would be a good choice on paper although it may not have the rare wow factor. I just have never seen a ar in 257 Roberts.
Some quick interneting shows a 257 Roberts coal(from Wikipedia) to be 2.775” and there are ar10 mags that will allow a coal of over 2.8”, give or take some with varying mag manufacturers. So you won’t be able to get the most out of the round even if you reload. But it’s being shot out of an ar10 so it’s not going to be its most efficient no matter what

I don’t have one yet, but that’s what popped into my mind. I keep debating getting a Browning BLR in it. It is pretty neat. Similar energy to an original 45-70 up close, but then extends that range.

Other options can be had easily with Wilson Combat. 358 Winchester, 7mm-08, or 243 Winchester would all be fairly unique in an AR-10, but be able to source ammo easily. Lastly, since you mentioned coyotes, maybe 22 Creedmoor. Would likely need barrels more often though:

375 Raptor may be tricky to get the gas just right for both supers and subs. But if you’re not silencing, that makes it easier.

View attachment 8050831
View attachment 8050833
I’d be getting a bit more speed out of the raptor too runnning a 16” barrel….

Reactions: PappyM3
Why not .260 Remington? Not quite "rare" enough?
Will do most everything the Creeds will do, but with extra 'cool kid' sauce.

Trying to run oddball / unproven shit in an AR-10 might make you tear your hair out.

Last edited:
Reactions: jb0311
In addition to finding something interesting cartridge wise, you might as well consider building something interesting gun wise too, instead of just your run of the mill 10# AR10. Go for a lightweight build. I have a 6.5 CM that weights 6.5# empty and would be under 6# if I had chosen a pencil weight barrel and a carbon fiber hand guard. My 16” 308 weighs just under 6#. Even if you don’t want to mess around with a Tacom buffer, it would still be oddly light gun for a AR10 no matter what round you choose. I can’t believe no one’s mentioned the 338 Federal, I almost built one in that.

Why not .260 Remington? Not quite "rare" enough?
Will do most everything the Creeds will do, but with extra 'cool kid' sauce.

Trying to run oddball / unproven shit in an AR-10 might make you tear your hair out.
260 is a great caliber but not quite the rarity factor.
It’d be like going creedmoor with a little more umph.

As of right now the 8.6blk and the 375 raptor have my attention.

I did start looking into wssm calibers….. to many damn choices

So wife ok'd me to build an ar10. Im just on the ropes about what to build. it will never be suppressed or an SBR cause my state fucking sucks. I wanted to do an 8.6 blk build cause its new and its weird AF. also considered a 24" 6.5 creedmoor. Plan to hunt deer and coyotes with it sub 200 yards. dont need a super long range rifle as i have a 7 prc being built and a 338 edge + p already.not to mention my primary coyote rifle is a 6arc. just looking for a fun caliber to shoot thats kind of an oddball. I like shooting weird calibers that your average person would know nothing about.

any suggestions?
.260, .270, 284 7mm-08, or how about good old .243, or a 308 G2 if you can dig one up, frames closer to an ar15, and std with 24" stainless bull. they also came in a lot of odd calibers, and no matter what some people say the quality is superb. a triggers all you need change

Attachments

• pix120260451.jpg
    pix120260451.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 37
  • pix630189072 (1).jpg
    pix630189072 (1).jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
7-08 and I run 120r Barnes TTSX and Hammers. 2950fps 18" Wilson Combat tactical hunter barrel. You will need to open the gas port .002-.003. It comes too small. I opened mine up and then installed a Aero Adj gas block. I can dial the brass ejection like a Swiss watch.

Reactions: Earnhardt
I've got a few in .308, a 24" barreled .243, and a 16" .45 Raptor. The .45 Raptor barrel was my "got a wild hair up my ass" purchase - got it from Excaliber Barrels when they were giving 45% off in honor of the 45th President. It works, is weird, but spends most of the time in the safe. The .243 is my favorite for PRS matches, long range shooting, or when taking new shooters to the range.