• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 Build

GhostRider45b

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2009
Arizona
I have an Aero Precision AR10 build in 308 going on and am just about ready for a barrel and BCG buy, looking for suggestions. Right now I’m considering Aeros barrel and bolt combo
Any input would help

I've had good luck with Aero's parts. My advice is to clone the Aero 308 with Aero parts. When you start experimenting with large frame AR parts, it can get expensive and frustrating.

I have a new rubber city armory complete bcg i no longer need if you're interested in buying that brand.

I have 2 AR-10s with Brownell's branded BCGs installed. Hundreds of rounds through both of them with -0- issues. And the price is right...

Last edited:
Reactions: RUTGERS95
if you're going with an Aero or Ballistic Advantage barrel, pay attention to the barrel weight. Some of their more economical offerings are really heavy pigs.

Reactions: Biggie1976
absolutely be fine with Aero and BA combo. You'll get moa or better and a good brand with great rep. Laws of diminishing returns to apply to commoditized products.

if you're going with an Aero or Ballistic Advantage barrel, pay attention to the barrel weight. Some of their more economical offerings are really heavy pigs.
? economical has nothing to do with it as it's barrel profile. No different than anyone else. Trying to understand where you are going with this

I am finishing my build today.

Aero M5 upper and lower, Aero AR 308 ejection port cover kit, Aero M5 lower parts kit, Aero 308/7.62 BCG in black nitride, Aero Ultralight SPR scope mount, Aero AR15 upper parts kit (for forward assist.....was same price basically as forward assist by itself so I have a spare ejection port kit for AR15 I I not use)

The non Aero Parts are as follows
Wilson Combat Recon 16 inch 6.5CM barrel (I ordered Nov 2020 and got it July 2021)
**runs their proprietary 13.25 Intermediate length gas tube**,

SSA-E Trigger

AIM sports 15 inch Mlok handguard( I wanted AERO but nov2020-march 2021 there were NONE to be had)

JP AGB
JP SCS
Law Gen 3 folder
Anarchy Outdoors folding bolt carrier extension
LaRue Charging handle (requires slight trimming to fit perfect)

A lot of people will say don't go 16 inches on 6.5CM in an AR. I'm not worried about barrel life or gas port errosion.....this is a coyote night hunting rig first and foremost

Ask any questions you want about Wilson Combat barrel. It's about the same thickness or slightly smaller as far as contour as my WOA SPR barrel on my .223 wylde rig

I'm no expert....my first AR10 build ....and I CANT WAIT to get it out and use it!!!!!

For what it's worth.....the Criterion Hybrid was first on my list to buy......but they don't offer ANY 16 inch 6.5CM barrels.

I have had a couple 308 ARs.
My (actual) AR10 had a Wilson 1:10", rifle-length gas 20"lg barrel from WOA and (of course) Armalite bcg. Heavy barrel but quite a shooter.

Had a GAP10G2 in 260. Bartlein barrel was a shooter. No idea whose bcg they use.

Have 2 uppers for my Mega Maten:
6.5cm uses a 22" JP barrel, +2 gas, SLR gas block and JP bcg. Shoots lights-out with Hornady 140 match.

308 uses a 20" Proof steel 1:10" rifle-length gas barrel, SLR gas block and Aim Surplus bcg with JP bolt. F-ing hammer.

Reactions: rpoL98
I ended up buying a Ballistic Advantage 16 in gov cut barrel. I’ve had good experiences with BA in my AR15s but wish it was melonited. If I can find a company that melonites I might do that.

I ended up buying a Ballistic Advantage 16 in gov cut barrel. I’ve had good experiences with BA in my AR15s but wish it was melonited. If I can find a company that melonites I might do that.
I have a BA Hanson 14.5" (pinned) mid-gas 1:8" Wylde on my AR-15. Shoots 75 or 77 loads extremely well out to 500 so far.
20210321_103224.jpg

Schuyler always has aero handguards in stock, it's where I got my enhanced upper and handguard kit for $300 on black friday (pretty swingin deal).

I bought a Wilson barrel and bcg awhile back (308) for a different rifle and asked them over the phone to please headspace it and was more than willing to pay whatever to have it done right.
The (I lived in arkansas so I'm allowed to say this) backwood ass marble mouth idiot said 'all our barrels and bolts are milspec so there is no need to headspace them'.
I asked exactly what is milspec on a large frame 308 AR ? since there is no military large frame AR.
*crickets*

I bought the bolt and barrel anyway and it was a little loose after I checked it but close enough to shoot.
It never shot all that well but was tolerable.
I've since sold the rifle.

BTW marble mouth is a common southern term for someone with an extreme southern accent, i.e. it sounds like they are talking with a mouth full of marbles. Wilson is based in the backwoods of Berryville Arkansas.

On my build with Aero upper/lower, I use Ballistic Advantage 20" BBL 1:10 twist and it's a little bit hefty.

@n2uishun Followed your excellent link and ordered an upper this past Monday. I take it that while the prices and service are good per Snipers Hide endorsements their communication skills are not all that great. Did you find them to be lacking in that area?