• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 Buy or Build??

7mm assassin

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2006
SE Pennsylvania
I’m looking to acquire an AR10 type rifle but kind of a newbe with the 10. Don’t know if I should just buy a POF or build a full-blown custom? Looking for a 16in bbl rifle in .308, floated rail, match trigger, Magpal stock, adjustable gas piston driven would be nice also but not necessary, I will be running a suppressor most of the time. I want to keep the overall weight down as much as possible. I like the LWRC REPER but they are damn expensive and hard to find. I’m looking at the stripped Iron Ridge Arms billet matched upper and lower receiver combo. They look very well made but I'm wondering if they are worth the extra money over say a plain Jane Armalite upper/lower. The other thing was witch pattern? SR25/DPMS style or Armalite? I think SR25 pattern will be easier to get parts for and definitely easier and cheaper for mags. The other thing I'm Confused about is what stock, tube and buffer to use? Can I use a Magpul UBR stock with a standard A2 stock tube and a H3 buffer?

As far as a build goes I'm thinking...

Iron Ridge Arms billet matched upper and lower
Noveske 16in bbl
Armalite BCG
DD 9in lite rail
Timney trigger
Magpul UBR
Troy BUIS
Armalite lower kit
PRI Gas buster

What do you guys think so far?

Re: AR10 Buy or Build??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mm assassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I’m looking to acquire an AR10 type rifle but kind of a newbe with the 10. Don’t know if I should just buy a POF or build a full-blown custom?</div></div>

That all depends. If you can find what you want in a factory rifle, then I suggest you buy it. It will probably save you cash in the long run. If you would be paying for part you are going to swap out, then it may be better to build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mm assassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I’m looking at the stripped Iron Ridge Arms billet matched upper and lower receiver combo. They look very well made but I'm wondering if they are worth the extra money over say a plain Jane Armalite upper/lower.</div></div>

Probably not. Generally in an AR platform the bolt and barrel are where the accuracy is at. Everthing else is just there to bring those pieces together in a repeatable manner. I was thinking about building a .260 on a IRA set, but decided to go a different route. If you are looking for light weight, then stick with the standard forged receivers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mm assassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The other thing was witch pattern? SR25/DPMS style or Armalite? I think SR25 pattern will be easier to get parts for and definitely easier and cheaper for mags.</div></div>

I suggest you try to get your hands on some. Every way I looked at it the AR10 felt like a higher quality rifle. I could care less about the mags as long as Armalite still makes them. $150 for 5 magazines is not that bad. This year I will pickup another five pack and be set for quite some time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mm assassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The other thing I'm Confused about is what stock, tube and buffer to use? Can I use a Magpul UBR stock with a standard A2 stock tube and a H3 buffer? </div></div>

No. The UBR uses a "entry length" tube and requires a carbine length buffer and spring. If you want to use the UBR you will need to get a heavy buffer from "Slash" (Heavybuffers.com) for the platform you go with (AR10/KAC/DMPS).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mm assassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as a build goes I'm thinking...

Iron Ridge Arms billet matched upper and lower
Noveske 16in bbl
Armalite BCG
DD 9in lite rail
Timney trigger
Magpul UBR
Troy BUIS
Armalite lower kit
PRI Gas buster

What do you guys think so far?
</div></div>

Sounds good, but I hope you know how heavy that pig is going to be.

I myself prefer to build it, I then know it front to back. I rebuild everything like five times to change something out once I try it. But I always feel comfortable tearing it down and putting it back together because I built it.

there is also another thread thats this same question with good info further down. oh yeah, i built mines. i figured after i bought something as a base, changed some things, id spend more than if i build it.

Thanks for the reply's guys. Lone Wolf, let me see if I got this right, Magpul UBR, AR10 carbine spring, slash buffer and a AR15 6 position tube and I'm good to go? Also who has Armalite BCG's in stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mm assassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the reply's guys. Lone Wolf, let me see if I got this right, Magpul UBR, AR10 carbine spring, slash buffer and a <span style="font-weight: bold">AR15 6 position tube</span> and I'm good to go? Also who has Armalite BCG's in stock?</div></div>

No on the buffer tube. The UBR WILL NOT work with a stadard CAR tube. It uses it's own special "entry" tube (that is comes with).

Check 762sass.com for BCG's. They have them in stock from time to time. Also, call Armalite. They sometimes have stuff in stock even when it shows out of stock on the website.

If POF308 has what you want, why not go with a factory rifle where you will get a warranty and save time and money. Plus you will have the advantage of seeing and handling the complete package. Weight and balance of POF308 is good.

or there is a GAP IRA upper/lower that is new in the sale section
wink.gif

build it,.

i stuck a 24in Rock Creek barrel (started as a .30 cal blank)into a Armalite upper and went from there,. its almost all Armalite parts,. but so far without counting the cost of the optics getting my rifle built the way i wanted cost me about $1500 and i am alot happier with it than the stock factory rifles.

AR10withPREMIER.jpg

That is a slick looking rifle.

Everytime I price out build vs buy I always end up much more expensive building than I do buying.

i got mine exactly like i wanted it for $1100 without optics. a base model is $1k-ish? then you gotta swap stuff out, sell stuff off, buy new stuff.

dpms upper & lower
badger free float
socom stock
18" barrel
pri adj gas block

I have no experience with .308 AR platforms, but with AR-15s, it's cheaper to buy it the way you want it rather than build it. It's A LOT CHEAPER to build it the way you want rather than buy one, take off components and buy the parts you want.

I can't see these being much different.

My .308 will be a POF... Hopefully in a couple months. I just think theirs is the best. I plan to hold out for a used one in the $2000 range. They're out there.

Good luck with whatever route you decide...

I've built a few AR-15s from scratch and they are a piece of cake and I would not hesitate recommending that route to anyone else. I think AR-10s are a different story. The various flavors are known to be finicky and I'd avoid all the headaches and buy from a reputable maker. Depends on your patience and willingness to work through issues. I no longer have that kind of patience and will gladly pay someone a little more to give some that works...or they will fix it. Go with someone who has a long established reputation for building solid AR-10s: they are NOT the same as an AR-15.