• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 Handguards - Who Makes Them?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I am looking for a round AR10 handguard with little if any Picatinny rail on it. Rifle length. I have a JP Rifles set up on my AR15 and while happy with it, was just looking for something different for the AR10. Who makes such a thing for the AR10? This is a true Armalite style AR10, not DPMS, if that matters.

- Phil

Re: AR10 Handguards - Who Makes Them?

The following companies offer round FF tubes/railed HGs for the Armalite AR-10 pattern rifles in various sizes including the "rifle" length you need...all with picatinny rails:

1) Armalite;
2) SWS;
3) Daniel Defense (not "round" but can be "rounded" out some with rail covers);
4) Larue Tactical (not "round" but can be "rounded" out some with rail covers);
5) JP Enterprises;
6) PRI;
7) Badger Ordnance (not "round" but see below);
8) Midwest Industries.

I am sure that I am missing one or more, but that's a good start for you to look into. The only one of those that I call into question in terms of quality would be the MI offerings and only because I have not had a chance to personally inspect, install or otherwise use one of the MI handguards yet to offer an informed opinion on them. All the others are of excellent quality. I personally like the PRI and Daniel Defense handguards best, but the Badger is an excellent product as well and offers something a little "different" than most of the other products on the market thanks to its shape/size/flat bottom design/etc. The Badger doesn't come with picatinny rails, but they are easily installed with a rail kit that is available from Badger Ordnance (and its retailers who generally will have both the HG and rail kits available).

Thank you, that list really helps. I knew about Armalite and JP Rifles, but will look into the others.

Thanks again.

- Phil

That's a good list; thanks, Ord. After looking at rails for a long time about a year ago, I wound up buying the Armalite offering. If, like me, you want a ff tube and just want to mount a bipod, for 80 bucks (including barrel nut and extended dust cover pin) it's hard to beat. One caveat: it only comes with one sling stud, so you may want to order an extra if you need it.