• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10: JP/Krieger---260/Creedmoor

green338 2.0

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2012
NorCal
<span style="font-size: 11pt">I need help deciding between a JP or Krieger barrel.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">I choose these barrels b/c of the availability and readiness;
</span>
JP rifles has a 260 Remington and 6.5 Creedmoor barrel.

Fulton Armory only has a Krieger 6.5 Creedmoor barrel available.

I know what each caliber is capable of, but I don't know too much about JP barrels. So, the question comes up, out of the JP and Krieger in 260 or Creedmoor, which will be more accurate and last longer? I'm planning to hit paper/steel at 600-800m in the desert.

Anyone with a JP 260 barrel, please help out.

Thanks guys and gals. </span>

Re: AR10: JP/Krieger---260/Creedmoor

I literally just got my DPMS LR-6.5 back from JP today; I had one of their supermatch 22" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel kits installed. I will go out to the range next week to shoot, and will report back here.

With the DPMS brand 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, I could usually stay right at one MOA. I am far from expert. I'll let you know what happens none the less.

I shoot JP uppers in 260 and 308 and they both shoot one hole. You wont be disappointed. If it was me I would get them to put the upper together. A lot more goes into putting one together other than just cranking a barrel nut on it. I didn't realize that until I talked to John Paul about it.

I am using a Criterion (Kriegers Button rifled brand) 6.5 creedmoor barrel on my rifle and 1/4 minute ground arent unheard of out of it with 3/4 moa being pretty regular which is more then enough to keep me happy with it. I think you could expect at least that level of accuracy out of a Krieger barrel which I am considering for my next bolt gun build. I dont have any experince with JP although I have heard good things about their products.

First off, thanks for the responses.

I guess the question arose when I came across JP Rifles barrel offerings...

I wanted a 260 barrel, but without the wait. I had emailed Bartlein and Krieger and both are out 6+ months for a blank. This made me look into "ready" barrels.

I found a couple Krieger barrels chambered in Creedmoor on Fulton Armory's page and although it wasn't the caliber I wanted at first, Krieger was a name I'm familiar with. Than, I found some on JP Rifles site, but eventhough they have what I want in a barrel, I'm not sure on the brand. This is why I asked if anyone had some experience with JP barrels and out of the two which one will perform "better" than the other?

At this point, I feel I need to try out the JP barrel myself. And yes, I am going to look into a quality smiths installing the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Here2Learn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot more goes into putting one together other than just cranking a barrel nut on it. I didn't realize that until I talked to John Paul about it. </div></div>Any minor/major details to share?

It really depends on what you get I bought the criterion barrel along with a bolt from FA and had them headspace it then all I did was bolt on thee barrel nut and rock and roll it was that easy.

So what else is there to it according to what John Paul told you?

I'll have to call on that 260 as I'm looking for a replacement for my dpms barrell now. Only thing puzzling is for the 260 it says a 1/2-28 muzzle thread and I need a 5/8-24 for the suppressor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Here2Learn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot more goes into putting one together other than just cranking a barrel nut on it. I didn't realize that until I talked to John Paul about it. </div></div>Any minor/major details to share? </div></div>

What all did JP have to say about it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TripleD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Here2Learn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot more goes into putting one together other than just cranking a barrel nut on it. I didn't realize that until I talked to John Paul about it. </div></div>Any minor/major details to share? </div></div>

What all did JP have to say about it? </div></div>

What did JP say?

Ordered my .260 rifle kit from JP yesterday. Guess we'll see when it comes in, they said 3-6 weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B3dlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It really depends on what you get I bought the criterion barrel along with a bolt from FA and had them headspace it then all I did was bolt on thee barrel nut and rock and roll it was that easy.</div></div>

What was the cost of the bolt and was there an added cost to headspace it? I am thinking about getting a Criterion barrel from FA as well.

Thx,

BB

...and oh did we ever find out what John Paul said??? =P

If you buy your barrel from fulton they will check the bolt for headspace for free. If they have to use your bolt they charge 25$.

Their stainless criterion barrels are good shooters for the money but be warned their barrel profiles are heavy for the length.

I too would love to know what JP said about barreling an upper. But I guess after ignoring the #1 question in your thread that's not gonna happen?

I have one of the Krieger 6.5CM barrels from fulton armory, I'm pretty rusty but its easily a half moa barrel or better in capable hands. Big semi's do take some concentration to shoot well

Not only JP, but other AR accuracy fanatics will use a temp-fit barrel. John Paul talked about this with me over the phone years and years ago. He uses a very tightly-fit barrel extension tunnel in the upper, like Mega has done in JP's footprints, but this type of fit was used in Steyr SSG's dating way back, as well as other rifles.

Billet uppers from 7000 series aluminum cut to very tight tolerances and QC standards, true receiver faces, precision barrel extensions, concentric bores on high-quality premium steel tubes, top-notch rifling, precise reamers that are centered correctly when cutting the chamber (you wouldn't believe how many big name companies can't and don't care to get this right).

Evey JP rifle I have seen is a shooter, and John has a solid reputation in the competitive rifle shooting community dating way back. His AR15's and AR10's have generally been geared towards action shooting, but when you shoot them at distance, you would think they are long-range rifles as well. I personally like the lightweight barrel profiles and his aluminum radiator sets, because they really do dissipate heat well, and the thin-profile barrels don't string all over the place like a rack-grade barrel does.

I have an 18" JP .223 Wylde barrel and it is .650" under the handguard, which is meant for maneuverability, and is still super-accurate. I also have the radiator shields with it. It's a fun gun to shoot, doesn't move with the Cooley brake, fast speeds, easy handling.

OP: If you want a fast-handling rifle that is also a long-range hitter, go with JP. If you want a heavy gun for long-range shooting from bench, prone/bipod and bags, then the heavier profile barrels are the ticket. I like to be able to shoot positions, so JP makes more sense in that regard. I also have a .260 Rem AR10 that GA Precision did for me with a Bartlein barrel, and it is a .4-.6 MOA gun for 5rd groups, and with the 22" barrel and JP/VTAC Handguard, I can shoot positions with it to an extent, while cranking in hard with a quick-adjust 2-point sling.

I'm an eternal student of shooting positions, so this gun challenges me especially with kneeling, but I have found some variations of kneeling that have helped me get more solid with it. This pic is of a more conventional kneeling, which would normally limit me to about 400-500yds effective range on IPSC steel. With the modified kneeling, I can get a little more effective range.