• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 Mega, Noveske Barrel, JP bolt questions back on

garrettjusmc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2011
Marines, VA
First off please don't tell me to search to SH or BARFCOM, I already did and am still a little confused.

I have a mega upper/lower, using a JP low mass bolt system, and am looking at a noveske barrel (because I think it is going to take too long to get a PROOF barrel in time for this project)

Mega says Noveske's are compatible on their uppers, and I have seen several Mega/Noveske setups, I am looking at getting the 16in barrel https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=4036, and it states that Noveske utilizes the Armalite series of feed ramps? Is there anything special I need to do for this to work with a Mega upper? Can someone clarify that for me? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
So my question still is not answered by that thread, can someone tell me what the significance of the armalite feed ramps are? Will a noveske w/armalite feed ramps be an issue? I am assuming it won't but I don't wanna assume.

You can use EITHER DPMS-platform bolt/carrier/barrel/etc. OR you can use Armalite pattern bolt/carrier/barrel/etc. You should NOT mix and match parts from different platforms like what you are talking about doing with running an Armalite pattern barrel and a DPMS pattern bolt/carrier. In your case...you can either run the Noveske barrel with an Armalite BCG or you can run your existing DPMS-pattern BCG (which is the platform the JP low mass BCG is based upon) with a DPMS pattern barrel, but I would not recommend running "a little of this and a little of that."

See Mega's "Compatibility" section on the MATEN for this info: http://megaarms.com/maten/compatibility/

If you are searching for a high quality, 16", DPMS pattern barrel that is in-stock and will work with the components you already have in hand, have a look at the following:

JP Rifles

http://www.stonefire-arms.com/view/product/809/

Outstanding feedback gents. I appreciate that. I suppose I'll step away from the Noveske, and will look at the Rainier barrel or send my bolt to PROOF, and just wait.

Last edited:
You'll be happier with the ARMALITE format.

I won't even go into firing pin hole diameter scrotumite problems that the DPMS units induce.
Don't remember the JP firing pin hole diameter.

Call DSG Arms.

I'm so da-da-dagnabit po'd tonight. ARFCOM has been down for whatever {super quick one-key punch to ads} and GoogleChrome has been a POS.

Last night, you could have purchased everything you needed to finish off your NOVESKE/ARMALITE rig from DSG ARMS.

MEGA ARMS mated to da-da-DPMS is no way to go through life, son. ;^ )

Best to you.

Last edited:
You'll be happier with the ARMALITE format.

MEGA ARMS mated to da-da-DPMS is no way to go through life, son. ;^ )

Best to you.

Bull crap on that.
I have three MATEN DPMS (based) 308's that work great and shoot even better.
Not knocking the Armalite but in reality it is just an either/or situation.
Nothing inherently better one way or another.

Bull crap on that.
I have three MATEN DPMS (based) 308's that work great and shoot even better.
Not knocking the Armalite but in reality it is just an either/or situation.
Nothing inherently better one way or another.

Sorry, not bullcrap.

308 isn't an issue with the .080 DPMS firing pin diameter-- it's when you start running calibers other than 308 with slower burning powders like .260 and 6.5CM you can start having problems with the larger .080 DPMS firing pin. Namely cratered and pierced primers.

I went through just that with my 6.5CM GAP10 and I'm seeing the effects to a much lesser extent with my JP (which also uses a .080 firing pin.) My GAP10 had terrible problems with badly cratered and many pierced primers to the point one time it stuck the firing pin and ran away full auto for the rest of a mag. I sent it back and GAP changed it from DPMS running gear to Armalite running gear as Armalite uses a smaller .068" firing pin. *ALL* of the primer cratering and piercing issues totally went away. George even commented that after repairing my rifle all new production rifles that were in non-308 calibers would be getting the Armalite BCG/extensions to avoid primer issues and only 308 GAP10s would keep using the DPMS-style BCGs/extensions.

My JP is also in 6.5CM and has a DPMS-style bolt with a .080 firing pin. It also very slightly craters primers, not to the extent of the GAP10, and I've never pierced a primer with it, but my experience with the GAP10 has me looking for tougher primers to run in the JP to avoid the possibility of pierced primers. I find myself wanting a .068" firing pin in the JP for more safety margin on the primers but I don't want to have to change the barrel extension and give up the JP LMOS carrier to switch over to the Armalite BCG. Instead I'll experiment with different primers and try to find tougher ones.

Last edited:
There ARE differences (both strengths and weaknesses) between/among the Armalite and DPMS platform BCGs as aptly noted above...particularly with the 6.5 Creedmoor. The evidence re: that problem with the DPMS-pattern BCG is abundant and not subject to debate.

HOWEVER...all of this is purely academic at this point as the OP has clearly stated that he'll be setting up his build as a .308. ;) As the OP already has his JP Low Mass BCG, then it just makes sense to stick with the DPMS-pattern barrel as well unless he just wants to start over, sell off the JP BCG, and source all Armalite pattern components for the build. At the end of the day though...for his stated purposes...either platform's components will work well and should pose no issues/problems with the proper function/operation of the rifle.

At the end of the day though...for his stated purposes...either platform's components will work well and should pose no issues/problems with the proper function/operation of the rifle.

My point exactly.
We are talking about 308 here.
If a debate for the other calibers is relevant then reserve that for another time.
JMHO

To answer your question there is virtually no difference between the extensions. So get the Noveske barrel if you want it. Just make sure and use a complete JP bolt and carrier. Before anyone else starts trying to disprove me, if you have not measured and checked every possible bolt combo (from brand name mfg's) don't bother to reply. If it head spaces it will work, the camming profiles to lock the bolt are the same on both Armalite and DPMS. Differences in the Armalite and DPMS pattern when it comes to barrels is where the gas port is located and length of gas tube.

Also it should be noted that JP says the same thing that their complete BCG works just fine in armalite rifles

Per JP

This notice pertains to any rifle based on the large-format AR-10-type or LR-308 platform typically chambered in .308 Winchester, 7.62x51 NATO or other cartridges requiring the longer magazine format. Be aware that these receiver platforms are not standardized like the AR-15/M16 platform for which most parts are cross-compatible. Before ordering accessories and parts for your large-format rifle, make sure the parts are compatible with your particular platform. The JPBC-4A complete bolt carrier assembly and its parts are compatible with the DPMS family of AR-10 products. With the Armalite/Rock River family of large-frame receivers, this assembly can only be used as a complete bolt carrier assembly group. Interchanging individual components will result in an unsafe configuration. DO NOT under any circumstances mix and match components between the platforms. Only use the complete JP bolt carrier assembly in the Armalite/Rock River platforms.

First off please don't tell me to search to SH or BARFCOM, I already did and am still a little confused.

I have a mega upper/lower, using a JP low mass bolt system, and am looking at a noveske barrel (because I think it is going to take too long to get a PROOF barrel in time for this project)

Mega says Noveske's are compatible on their uppers, and I have seen several Mega/Noveske setups, I am looking at getting the 16in barrel https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=4036, and it states that Noveske utilizes the Armalite series of feed ramps? Is there anything special I need to do for this to work with a Mega upper? Can someone clarify that for me? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, however, I could have done without the personal opinion and just stuck with objective responses. Thanks to those of you who did.