• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ar10 spare parts?

Flintdog2011

Long time listener/first time caller
Minuteman
  • Jul 24, 2013
    Jawja
    This subject may have been covered elsewhere but I'm too dumb/lazy to find in the forums. I have a GAP10 on order and I am trying to kit up before it gets here. I am wondering what breaks on Ar10's in general, and GAP 10's specifically. I would like to start gathering spare parts so that I'm not scrambling around when something fails.

I am also wondering if anyone has used a Steiner 5312 model scope yet and if they would consider it worth the price.

First and foremost...AR-10 does NOT equal GAP-10. AR-10, in terms of specific parts, refers to Armalite ONLY. As the GAP-10 is based on the DPMS LR-308/KAC platform, you'll need to look for those types of parts/accessories/etc. and NOT for AR-10.

As for emergency/field replacement parts...you generally don't need much, if anything, for the GAP-10. I generally keep extras of critical items such as firing pin and retaining pin, extractor assembly (extractor itself along with pins and springs), ejector assembly (ejector itself along with pins and springs), FCG and springs (at a minimum, the springs if not a spare FCG assembly too), and gas rings. I also generally have a bunch of misc AR parts in my field kit, but the above are the "biggies" in terms of keeping your rifle running if something goes belly up on you. Of all the crap I carry...the only things I have ever REALLY needed in a pinch were the extractor assembly on one occasion, and a firing pin on another (neither occasion was for a GAP-10, but other large-frame ARs).

My descending order of preference for spare/emergency/repair parts:

Gas rings (McFarland one piece rings last almost forever, but don't fit all my rifles)
    extractor and related parts
    firing pin retaining pin (usually gets lost, not broken)
    trigger, hammer, and springs
    firing pin
    cam pin
    ejector and parts
    bolt
    charging handle (breaks or bends)

Although not complete, much depends on how much money you have available for extra parts. In nearly 40 years of shooting gas operated rifles, the gas rings are WAY out in front. Most of the other parts take a long time to wear out. But when you are out in the bush cleaning rifles, little parts often walk off or get stolen by the gnomes before I can re-assemble my rifle. The gas rings wear out and cause all sorts of problems lots more often than I first thought they would. They are the first place I look when an otherwise reliable rifle starts having problems.

FYI, depending on when you ordered and what caliber your GAP10 is you may have an Armalite BCG. I had some issues with my 6.5CM GAP10 that necessitated 2 trips back to GAP and part of the solution was installing an Armalite barrel extension and bolt in my rifle. George indicated that going forward all GAP10's that are not .308 will be getting the Armalite bolt because of the smaller firing pin for improved primer condition on higher pressure non-308 calibers and only the 308 GAP10's would be sticking with the DPMS bolts... so you need to verify exactly what you have or will be receiving.

Regarding spare parts, I wouldn't say anything is a prone failure point but it's always good to have the following around:

Spare firing pin
    firing pin spring (if Armalite bolt)
    firing pin retaining pins
    gas rings
    extractor & spring
    ejector & spring

Anything beyond that and things are probably more serious so I'll order a replacement when the part fails.

If your GAP10 has an Armalite BCG then this is a handy thing to keep around: http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EA6020

Last edited:
    Thanks guys, Those suggestions are just what I was looking for. My GAP10 is in .308 and I ordered in June, so I guess it's the DPMS stuff. I have started shopping and have checked Midway and Brownells for pricing. Anywhere else I should be looking?