• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 trigger in AR15?

FieldGaugeFailure

Dry firing at fridge magnets
Minuteman
Feb 29, 2024
Southern Colorado
I know folks have run AR15 triggers in their AR10s, and there are triggers branded AR15/AR10, but can anyone see any downsides to running a strictly AR10 trigger in a 15? I have a Timney (https://timneytriggers.com/ar-10-competition-trigger/) sitting around that I'd like to replace a stock trigger with, but it's only marketed as an AR10 trigger. It fits fine without any issues.

There's no difference in whether it would fit an AR15 or AR10, they both use the same trigger.

Really the only concern is the pull weight. Lighter triggers in an heavier recoiling AR10 can be dicey and make the gun prone to doubling or bump firing if you aren't diligent with your follow through on shots.

There's a couple of triggers out there with dimensional differences in the hammer. I've had two (early Trigger Tech and AR-Gold) that would not come off the sear due to interference with the AR10 carrier. At the time AR-Gold was aware of the issue and swapped out the parts for me. They now offer a model specific trigger. Timney would have to tell you if they are just changing springs or if the trigger geometry is different.