• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 trigger pull weight adjustment?

rmiked

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2023
I’m new to ARs. I have installed a Timney Calvin Elite trigger in my REM 700 5R bolt action. REM 700 triggers are adjustable for pull weight with an adjusting screw. In watching videos of AR triggers it looks like a different setup with the pivoting hammer. Is it possible to adjust trigger pull weight without replacing the trigger springs? Or is that the only method of adjustment? I have a Seekins SP10 with a Timney trigger set from factory at 3 lbs. It’s a single stage trigger and it is crisp. I have my Calvin Elite set at 2.5 lbs and if possible would like the AR10 the same.

I’m new to ARs. I have installed a Timney Calvin Elite trigger in my REM 700 5R bolt action. REM 700 triggers are adjustable for pull weight with an adjusting screw. In watching videos of AR triggers it looks like a different setup with the pivoting hammer. Is it possible to adjust trigger pull weight without replacing the trigger springs? Or is that the only method of adjustment? I have a Seekins SP10 with a Timney trigger set from factory at 3 lbs. It’s a single stage trigger and it is crisp. I have my Calvin Elite set at 2.5 lbs and if possible would like the AR10 the same.
Drop-in triggers (TriggerTech, Timney, etc.) have some models that afford you easy adjustment be just opening the upper (slide takedown pin out, open upper) with an allen key. Component triggers can be tweaked using different springs, which is doable, but not nearly as easy as a drop-in trigger. :)

I have looked at the TriggerTech Adjustable Two Stage drop-in trigger for my AR10, but am comfortable with the Geissele G2S that is currently installed. Considering a TriggerTech Diamond Single-stage for my 300B0 SBR.

Reactions: rmiked
I really like the Timney that came with my SP10. If it was easily adjustable I would drop it down perhaps 8 oz. I’m still breaking in the rifle and getting accustomed to it. Is there a lower bound below which an AR might be less safe? Like subject to double taps or such? Mine is crisp and reset is tactile. Just wondering what is the general guidance ARs regarding being reliable but not having problems? I think I read the Milspec triggers are in the 6-8 lb pull range? So 3# is probably good. I will primarily be hunting and target shooting for fun on private land. I think the SP10 stock trigger is a good fit. If I was shooting PRS or otherwise competing perhaps I would get a 2 stage adjustable.

I find it hard to compare AR triggers to those on a bolt gun. Maybe I am way behind the next generation of improved triggers. The SSA-E will work in your AR10 Or AR15. After the first few of them, I quit looking and standardized most of my AR’s.

if there is an AR trigger that feels like a jewel trigger in a bolt action, someone please point it out.

I find it hard to compare AR triggers to those on a bolt gun. Maybe I am way behind the next generation of improved triggers. The SSA-E will work in your AR10 Or AR15. After the first few of them, I quit looking and standardized most of my AR’s.

if there is an AR trigger that feels like a jewel trigger in a bolt action, someone please point it out.
Triggertech AR triggers make SSA-E triggers feel bad in comparison. They are in different leagues.

I like the trigger tech adaptable. These 2 stage triggers will drop down to 2.5lb. The two stage diamonds will go lighter but the reset sucks which may or may not matter depending on use.

Late in on this one, but I spent a small fortune trying out different triggers. From my experiences...

The Triggertech's are nice triggers. The offer a wide variety of options and have adjustable an non. Elftmann match triggers are nice as well and offer variety and afford some adjustment. AR Gold is another option and have both adjustable and non options. The only thing I was not too fond of is the shoe is very thin. I run AR Gold's on my Grendel and ARC AR15's. I have not tried the Timney's so I can speak to those. I have tried a couple other drop in's but dont feel they are worth mentioning.

There is the standard non drop in triggers. For 2 stage, KAC triggers I did not care for at all. They come preset with adjustment screws red loctite'd and should not be changed. Some swear by the LaRue MBT and it is adjustable via spring changes. For me it is OK on standard AR's but was kind of chunky and clunky for my more precision 15's and 10's. The Geissele offerings are not bad. The SSA-E and SD-E are good but not adjustable. For me, the Geissele High Speed National Match worked very well. It can be adjusted through a wide range. I currently run the Geissele HSNM on both my AR10's and would not change them for anything else. Once I set them, they have stayed to that setting. I dont measure pull weights and go by what feels right for me.

Hopefully this provides some usefull info.