• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing AR10 upper vise block

mzvarner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2013
Spokane, WA
What are you guys using? I bought a wheeler that indexes off the take down bosses, but the force required to torque an Aero Atlas S1 barrel nut (30-60 ft lbs) seems to put a ton of stress on these points. This is an Aero M5 upper. At this point I can not torque it any further to get the turn buckle to tighten flush in the handguard.

If you really need to torque on it, this (or the more expensive Geissele reaction rod version) so all the force is getting taking up in the barrel locking lugs, not the outside of the receiver:

Reactions: Ravenworks
The rod in the brownells link above is what I was introduced to by gunsmiths. Otherwise, I’d just clamp the receiver in non-marring jaws.

I have the Brownells and it's a pain to use. Even bored out and turned down some square stock to slide inside so I could hold in vise and it was still a PITA. So I bought the Geissele and haven't regretted it.

Just grind flats on the Brownells rod so you can clamp it in a vise.
It has a 1/2” hole for your torque wrench.
That way you can clamp your barrel nut in the vise and tighten that way.
I have both the AR10 rod and the AR15 rod.
Been using them for years.

Reactions: Ravenworks
What are you guys using? I bought a wheeler that indexes off the take down bosses, but the force required to torque an Aero Atlas S1 barrel nut (30-60 ft lbs) seems to put a ton of stress on these points. This is an Aero M5 upper. At this point I can not torque it any further to get the turn buckle to tighten flush in the handguard.
I'm working on a Ar 10 and Just ordered one haven't received it yet
Maybe by Friday I need it for about 5 minutes.
I mostly do AR 15s but if you want to use it and can wait PM me.
I use the AR 15 Geissele often and imo it's the best way.

The reaction rod seems pretty popular. But I remember reading that some companies will avoid the warranty if your using it?

I take it the brownells thing is same principle just cheaper?

@Zeroit that is a generous offer. Let me k ow what you think of it and which on you picked up. When the upper gets back I may take you up on it.

The reaction rod seems pretty popular. But I remember reading that some companies will avoid the warranty if your using it?

I take it the brownells thing is same principle just cheaper?

@Zeroit that is a generous offer. Let me k ow what you think of it and which on you picked up. When the upper gets back I may take you up on it.

First Ive heard that... What companies are saying that? Ive been using one for many many years and been reviewing and testing barrels for lots of companies. None of them said that to me...

Reactions: Zeroit
I was just checking to see if Geissele shipped it yet. Ordered last week.
I have not used brownells version so no opinion.
Geissele is $200.
Brownells is ? $ but still would be better than any block imo.

I was just checking to see if Geissele shipped it yet. Ordered last week.
I have not used brownells version so no opinion.
Geissele is $200.
Brownells is ? $ but still would be better than any block imo.

Geissele can be had cheaper 4 or 5x over the last 2 months with all their 20% off sales, etc. May have another sale here real soon for Presidents day if memory serves me correctly but dont quote me on that.

Geissele can be had cheaper 4 or 5x over the last 2 months with all their 20% off sales, etc. May have another sale here real soon for Presidents day if memory serves me correctly but dont quote me on that.
I appreciate that! But I need to get this rifle done asap and I will just add that to my tool pile.
I like Geissele for their quality.
The AR 15 one I bought was at the NRA convention a number of years back pretty good deal on that one.
Thanks!

First Ive heard that... What companies are saying that? Ive been using one for many many years and been reviewing and testing barrels for lots of companies. None of them said that to me...

I would have to search around again. It was a comment I read on another forum the other day. I know you do lots of testing so if your having good luck, and it's highly recommended amongst the members here it must be an industry go to.

I just clamp the barrel in my barrel vice and tighten the nut.

I’ve used the DPMS bock for years - the white one with 2 pins. Worked great for me.