• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 wear patterns?

mj23polaris

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2019
Rifle has 1900rds all 6.5 Creedmoor. Ballistic 20in barrel, aero receiver set and BCG.

I've reached out to both companies last monday, ballistic responded and asked about the BCG, sent them pics and haven't heard shit. Aero hasn't responded at all

Is this normal wear for a AR10 platform? If it is ok I'm not complaining just wanting to make sure it's normal. Gun shoots fine and I've never had a malfunction.

Barrel extension, flow on the feed ramp
Snapchat-1775121878~2.jpg

Upper receiver
Snapchat-645448866.jpg

Snapchat-1660893426.jpg

Bolt head
IMG_20231202_165553643~2.jpg

can speak to the extension and bolt lugs but the cam pin drag is something i see but not in everything. some uppers are worse that others. some dont have any.

can’t recall if thats normal or a sign of excessive carrier speed. so tagged for interest and answers here.

Reactions: mettee and simonp
can speak to the extension and bolt lugs but the cam pin drag is something i see but not in everything. some uppers are worse that others. some dont have any.

can’t recall if thats normal or a sign of excessive carrier speed. so tagged for interest and answers here.
Man if I remember right the cam pin looks fine but I could be wrong. I found all this cleaning it and I disassembled the bolt and nothing stuck out but I'll double check.

I'd be looking at the barrel/barrel extension (BE) not being properly timed/clocked in the upper. Shooters perspective, the barrel/BE could be counter-clockwise from being correct. If the bolt lugs are disengaging from the BE lugs before the cam has completed its travel in carrier cam path, the cam pin is not inline like it should be and gouges the cam pin cut-out of the upper until it does line up. The wear on that side of the rear of the bolt lugs would indicate that the bolt is over-rotating in relation to the BE and engaging the adjacent BE lug. and not the BE lug that the bolt lug would normally lock into. Hard to tell for sure, but that BE looks cracked.

I'd be looking at the barrel/barrel extension (BE) not being properly timed/clocked in the upper. Shooters perspective, the barrel/BE could be counter-clockwise from being correct. If the bolt lugs are disengaging from the BE lugs before the cam has completed its travel in carrier cam path, the cam pin is not inline like it should be and gouges the cam pin cut-out of the upper until it does line up. The wear on that side of the rear of the bolt lugs would indicate that the bolt is over-rotating in relation to the BE and engaging the adjacent BE lug. and not the BE lug that the bolt lug would normally lock into. Hard to tell for sure, but that BE looks cracked.
I'll pull the barrel nut tonight and check time and see if there is enough slop in the upper for the barrel to be clocked one way or other. I don't remember it being sloppy but it's been almost a year since I assembled the upper.

Reactions: msgriff
Haha I literally just wipe it off. I use clp for lube.
I would ditch the CLP and use a proper gun lube or synthetic motor oil. I really like that lucas oil gun lube and I grease the backside of the lugs. Lots of reciprocating parts in that machine and I personally don’t think CLP is up to the task. Greasing the lugs is very important to my regimen. I don’t see that kind of wear on BCGs with thousands of rounds on them. My guns are just range toys, I might rethink things if I was going into a dirty duty situation.

Aero FINALLY got back to me. I talked to a guy on their chat system and sent him pics. He told me to submit a warranty for the upper and BCG and get a hold of BA about the barrel.
good, get all new as they probably think it best to just replace and keep good cs. good for them and good for you!!!!!

also, agree on using synthetic motor oil and recommend mobil 1.

Reactions: mj23polaris
good, get all new as they probably think it best to just replace and keep good cs. good for them and good for you!!!!!

also, agree on using synthetic motor oil and recommend mobil 1.
Thanks for the tips on the oil, I'll start using it moving forward

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I would ditch the CLP and use a proper gun lube or synthetic motor oil. I really like that lucas oil gun lube and I grease the backside of the lugs. Lots of reciprocating parts in that machine and I personally don’t think CLP is up to the task. Greasing the lugs is very important to my regimen. I don’t see that kind of wear on BCGs with thousands of rounds on them. My guns are just range toys, I might rethink things if I was going into a dirty duty situation.
Concur ... after switchign to Amsoil 10W40 for my lube several years back ... wear and honestly carbon build up has been a LOT easier to clean

Reactions: Gohring65
Upper receiver wear mark looks normal ... your bolt lugs ... I'd keep an eye on ...

Aero owns BA (IIRC) so not sure why they have a different process ...

Upper receiver wear mark looks normal ... your bolt lugs ... I'd keep an eye on ...

Aero owns BA (IIRC) so not sure why they have a different process ...
Yea they own them. I've talked to BA about warranty before they where easy to deal with. So we'll see how this timeline plays out.