• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10T 20" How much elevation do I need? Scope?

BadBowtie03

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Palmetto, FLA
Hey guys, I am considering the IOR 18x SH scope or the Razor 20x scope for target work with my AR10T. Right now I only usually shoot to 600 or closer... but i want to be able to hit 1000 yards. Scott at liberty optics said that I would need a 20 moa base or something like that with the IOR... and that the razor could just be mounted normal because it has a lot more elevation travel. I obviously believe him, but doesnt it depend on the load that you work up? Like 155 scenars vs 175smk's for 1000 yards and how much powder you use. So what scope would you do? the IOR with a base or the razor? The razor has more features like illumination and zero stops, but its a bit more expensive. But, if I have to buy a base for the IOR it jacks it up a bit more in price. I need some help here. Thanks

Re: AR10T 20" How much elevation do I need? Scope?

Well, we so far we only have 168 hpbt's with cci primers prvi partizan and winchester brass loaded with 43 grains of varget out of my 20" barrel. I figured that was about 2550 - 2600 fps? me and my buddy are just getting started in longer ranges and from all the research ive done so far is that 168's wont cut it. So, I was thinking about doing some 155's or 175's because i read those would have a better chance of being more accurate and stable at that distance. true?

Yes, but it's very difficult to do with a 20-incher -- not saying impossible, but very tough.

A sloped base will help in that your reticle and erector (the mechanism holding the crosshairs) will be centered within the tube at 1,000, giving you full left and right windage. With a scope with lots of elevation range and a flat base your erector may actually bump a side of the tube if you need to use up a lot of left or right windage correction.

To get the most out of a 155 you want it going around 2850-2900 feet per second. Palma bolt gunners usually use a 28-inch or longer barrel to do that.

With a 175 you want 2550+ fps -- I'm not sure you'll get that in Gainsville once it warms up.

is that true for all scopes? would the razor or IOR be better for that? Cause i know the Razor has more internal adjustment... thanks

For either you'll want a base with some slope built in (say 20 minutes). There are a number out there (Badger, Nightforce Ultimount, Accuracy Speaks, White Oak, I think Larue's .50-cal mount has 30 minutes).

wait... I am somewhat of a newbie to this... but why would I need a base for the razor? If it has enough adjustment? If yall can point me in the right direction that would help... then I could just read an article or something. Thanks

1000 yards with a 175gr SMK at 2620fps will require about 11.2 mRad at Sea Level on a standard day.

That translates to 38.7 MOA.

The Razor is advertised with 36 mRad of elevation travel. Even if you end up using 20 mRad to zero (indicating that something is jacked up) you will have enough left to get to 1000 yards.

My suggestion is to just get the Razor and use whatever mount system you want. I am playing with the ADM RECON-S mount right now. As soon as my 21" Noveske barrel comes in, I will do a RTZ test on it. If you don't need the quick detach capability, then just run a set of standard rings and drive on.

BTW, the word is that ADM will be coming out with a 20 MOA mount soon. Other QD Options are the LaRue LT158 with 10 MOA or the LT107 with 30 MOA. This would only be needed if you are looking at a riflescope with less than 90 MOA of TOTAL travel or 26 mRad. (assuming that the scope zeroes within 5 MOA of it's mechanical center.)