• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ar15 .223 twist question

nitronova

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 20, 2010
henderson nv
Alright guys. I have a custom built ar in .223 and it has a 1:8 twist barrel on it and I am a reloader as was wondering what's the heaviest grain bullet I could run with it? It's a 22 inch barrel and I want to do some precision work with it and would like to start with something that will work great. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: Ar15 .223 twist question

75 OR 77 GR will work just fine (not A-Maxes)
try 69 gr also and see which is best in your specific bbl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">75 OR 77 GR will work just fine (not A-Maxes)
try 69 gr also and see which is best in your specific bbl</div></div>

A-max's will work just fine with a 1-8 twist. I run the 75 A-max in my F-class stick. You can look at the results for the Odessa shoot to see how they shot.

I have seen alot of Highpower shooters using 80 grainers with a 1-8 twist also.

I've had alot of good results using 75gr pills in my 1in8, I wouldnt dare go any higher though, you start losing stability

You can run 80 SMK, Nosler, Berger VLD, JLK VLD, A-max, 75 A-max with an 8 twist. You will be single loading as OAL will be longer than magazine will allow.

OTM you can run pretty much any bullet that will allow you to load to 2.260" OAL. 68 Hornady, 69 SMK/Nosler, 73 Berger, 75 Hornady, 77SMK/Nosler......

This is just my load, but I know a bunch of people that run it with good results. Keep in mind that I've found it to be safe in my rifle, you should work up to it.

77gr SMK, 24gr Reloader 15 or Varget, Remington 7.5 primer and lake city brass. This shot really well in all of my fast twist barrels. I loaded to 2.255 OAL.

From an accuracy perspective, either powder worked well, although RL15 got me higher velocities. RL15 is a bit slower than Varget, so you might get more of an advantage with your longer barrel. I was running an 18".

My 1:8 twists love everything from the 52 speer match to 77 nosler.

edit: my pet loads are

52speer 25.4IMR4320 2.24
69nosler 24AA2460 2.25
75horn 24.3varget 2.25
77nos 24varget/23.5AA2460 2.25

I experimented with several kinds of brass and primers and they all seem to work fine.

Thanks guys. I was thinking of the 77 smk but thought maybe some of you got better results with others. So correct me if I'm wrong but earlier someone said the amax is to long to feed in the mag for good results? I was kind of wanting to use those as well and see which she licked better.

75 Amax is too long (52 amax fits great), also use the 75 hornady or 77 nosler they are cheaper than the smk and shoot just as well in my experience. More bang for your buck.

75 & 80 A-maxes, 80 SMKs are not intended to be used with magazines: single feed. The 77SMK is the longest suitable for mag-length, but it takes up a bit of case volume. Virtually everyone competing with an AR at 600 is single-feeding their cartridges because they need every grain of extra case capacity and want to load it closer to the lands.

IIRC single feed is part of the 600+ yard rules too for service rifle, ftr etc. At least that's what I was told at the last couple I went to. So OP if you're reading this & plan on shooting a match consider developing a 75amax or 80smk load for single feed. I think I used 24.5 varget 2.45COAL w/75amax but not sure have to check notes.