• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR15 and Hogs

texbone

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2009
Katy, Texas
Has anyone used their Ar to go Hog hunting....I was not too sure about 69 gr bullets. I have a 1 and 9 twist 5.56 and was thinking about taking it but not to sure how effective it would be and if so what would be the best bullets..... I can't really go any heavier than the 69 with the 1 in 9 or at least that is what I have been told...Any thoughts.....

Re: AR15 and Hogs

it might take a few rounds... i'de probably choose something with a little more oomph + penetration, i went on a boar hunt last spring, and they can be resilient little bastards. I used an arrow though and it sliced right through.

edit: pay no attention to me, it appears they do just fine, i have heard horror stories, but they must have been a crappy shot
wink.gif

I have used my AR on many occasions to take hogs that weighed 250+. I don't use anything special. Just 55gr. Surplus FMJ Ball ammo. It is cheap and it has done the job well for me. I have taken several at over 200 yards...it might take a follow up shot if your first shot is a little off, as they are usually running, because we just walk them up in the swamp w/o dogs or using a stand.

even a .55 vmax will leave a gapeing hole in the side of ones head.

the good ones are only about 45lbs anyways so i like to use .55 surplus also. that way little damage and try to stick to head shots.

i like the fact that sometimes the whole group doesn't run off after the fist shot either and the semi-auto and low recoil give quik second and third shots.

+1, I have taken many hogs with my AR, you might need an extra shot or two, if your first shot is off. With an AR, you have plenty of extra rounds for the rest of his or her family. I also carry a handgun when I hunt hogs. I used 65gr.

Pat

I have dropped several from close to mid range (contact through about 100yds) with my 16inch AR. I used mostly 75gr match or TAPs. You could probably use them just fine in the 1 in 9, but of course try them first. My 1 in 9 barrel shoots them fine....no real difference at close range from my 1 in 7.

I have used a AR on Black Bear up here in ALaska, we hunt over bait so we can wait for a good lung shot. With all but one, the bear went less then 20 yards. I use the 55 gr Barns X. I would do hogs in a new york min with a 223.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used a AR on Black Bear up here in ALaska, we hunt over bait so we can wait for a good lung shot. With all but one, the bear went less then 20 yards. I use the 55 gr Barns X. I would do hogs in a new york min with a 223.</div></div>

How does the triple shot x differ from the x. Do you know?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexBone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used a AR on Black Bear up here in ALaska, we hunt over bait so we can wait for a good lung shot. With all but one, the bear went less then 20 yards. I use the 55 gr Barns X. I would do hogs in a new york min with a 223.</div></div>

How does the triple shot x differ from the x. Do you know? </div></div>

If i remember, the triple has three bands around it, they are the same thing IMO. They kiss shit good. Im going to try a moose with the 338 gn BTH Triple X this year. Point of fact, they are becoming real popular in Africa these days

I know everybody's doing it.... but I like more gun.
I heart shot one last week with a 308 that still went 60 yards into some really deep briars wasn't any fun to drag out.
CW

I heart shot one last week with a 308 that still went 60 yards

Bottom of the heart?, if so that makes sence, gotta hit center lung, no air, no move

Not hunting them per se, but we use AR's exclusively(rifles) and 12 gauge with 00 buckshot for hog erradication from the air with helecopters. The AR platform works well... having high magazine capacities, light recoil, small size, good accuracy and dependability, fairly inexpensive ammunition and a easy optics platform are a plus. The down side is the .223 is a bit on the light side. No problem with head shots but they can take a bunch elsewhere in the body. Again this isnt hunting but when you can put a hole in a hog that is a good thing regardless. The gunner can shoot a 500-1000rds and a couple hundred hogs in a good day. For those that have never seen or experinced it, it's a blast...literally
grin.gif

On the ground with pigs that are stationary the .233 does the job quite well when a shot is placed just below the ear.

I have shot a few truck loads of pigs, most about 150-225lbs and would have no reservations of poking them with a .223. I would stay away from a softer match round and go with something like the TSX as previously mentioned. My favorite shot is the spine, about 2/3 of the way up the shoulder, much higher than the traditional heart shot but it reduces the need to track. If broadside hold right on the shoulder, if you try behind the shoulder like on deer you will only hit the back half of the lungs and be prepared to go into the thick crap to dig him out.

One shot to really watch on hogs is a head on shot where you are tempted to put one between the eyes. The head is sloped quite a bit there and its real easy to have one slip around the outside of the skull. Quite dramatic to see the mud flying off at impact only to have them go running off.

I use the Blacks Hills 69 gr Sierra in my RRA Predator Pursuit. I have probably killed 30 or so over the last year on my ranch. I am trying to keep the population in check so I like the AR15 as it allows me to shoot multiple hogs when I run into a group. They usually drop on the spot with well placed shots. It really seems to be about as effective as a 308, as I have occasionally had them run off with both. That said if I was going on a hog hunt to bring home one trophy I would certainly take the 308 over the 223 (it will leave a better blood trail if they don't drop on the spot).

I use my AR, but it is a 6.8 20". I have been using the Sierra 110 gr pro Hunter. Very Effective! I to tend to favor the head shots, they dont tend to run into the briars, etc.

Thanks for eveyones input. I am going to pick up some barnes bullets today and load them up as well as take a few other rounds just to compare results....

Hey dude, I have a .458 SOCOM, a 6.8, .223 and a slew of bullets for each that I'm dying to try on some hogs. I may be going to a job interview in Dallas(I know it's a little ways from Houston). I know exactly where Katy is though, I spent 2 months right there by 6 and the 10 while I was going to school for my current job. If I end up heading down there we'll have to kill some hogs(I've never done it)
smile.gif

I've shot quite a few with AR-15's, although if they are running - or you don't hit the button (as previously mentioned), it may take several. I've got some 70gr TSX's loaded up in my truck to try at the range this afternnon to see how they shoot. I want a little better bullet for the job than the Hornady 5.56 TAP that I have been shooting them with. I've lost some that I had a good sight picture on when the trigger broke.

On a side note I put a 210gr Berger VLD into a pig (big bore) shoulder last week at 100 yards, and then he still ran (although limping) into the woods. I shot him with my .300 RUM, bullet moving at 3060 fps over the chronograph.