• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ar15-Ar10

Re: Ar15-Ar10

Not all "AR-10" platforms were create equal and thus, the AR-15 parts that will interchange with the ARMALITE AR-10 will not work with the DPMS LR-308, etc.

What specific AR-10/LR-308 platform are you referring to?

I was thinking of building one but i'm finding that it would probably be better to just buy one complete. I was looking at Armalite lowers. DPMS, RRA parts and complete rifles.

Ok...here's a little more background info since you are new to this whole setup.

1) Armalite = AR-10 (anything else is not an AR-10, but is a specific model by company such as a DPMS LR-308, KAC SR-25, RRA LAR-8, POF P-308, etc.). Using "AR-10" as a general descriptor for a .308/7.62 AR can get confusing since parts are NOT interchangeable between them (with a few exceptions).

2) Armalite lowers/uppers ARE ONLY compatible/interchangeable with/between Armalite, Noveske, Aero Precision and Eagle Arms (a division of Armalite). You cannot use an Armalite upper on a DPMS lower. Similarly, the mags for all the .308 ARs are different between platforms (Armalite uses one type, DPMS/KAC use another and RRA uses modified FN/FAL mags).

Here is a link to an lengthy thread on BARFCOM that goes through a lot of the information you are seeking:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/413443_.html

Have a read through it and see if that helps you any.

Thanks for taking the time to post the info and links. I'm familiar with the "AR"(Armalite Rifle) being specific to Armalite, just thought it was used as a general term like AR15 is. My mistake. Thanks for clarifying that.

I just started investigating this platform this morning and figured I would ask here as this is a huge resource if knowledgeable people, and get a head start on my research.

I would love to have an Armalite AR10,the original, but my funds are limited. the DPMS and RRA offerings are significantly less expensive. I may just have to save longer and get the real thing and just make the changes to suit my needs later.

Thank you again and please forgive any ignorance of the subject on my part. I'm learning.