• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR15 barrel ?

rasman35

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2011
Wheaton, IL USA
what is the law on barrel length? i ended up buying a 16 inch (ill have pictures up soon) but i really want to buy a 14.5. ive heard that anything under 16 inch is illegal. im wondering if you can get away with a 14.5 barrel and permanently attaching a muzzle break?

Re: AR15 barrel ?

Short barreled rifle (SBR) is a legal designation in the United States, referring to a shoulder-fired, rifled firearm with a barrel length of less than 16 inches (40.6 cm) or overall length of less than 26 inches (66.0 cm). In the United States, an SBR is an item regulated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) as an NFA firearm. In the absence of local laws prohibiting ownership, American civilians may own an SBR provided it is registered with the BATFE, and a $200 tax is paid prior to taking possession of or creating the firearm.

yes you can use a 13.7 barrel with a Noveske Pig permanently attached

or a 14.5 with flashider permanently attached so that @ measures just over 16"--mine are 16.1"

ADCO will re-cut and crown and thread and pin and weld flash hider
or comp at proper length

Yes, you can have a barrel with a length of less than 16" as long as the overall length is over 16" with a permanently attached muzzle device. There are several muzzle devices that will help to accomplish this, from extended A2 flash hiders to the Levang Linear Comp.

Doing it is easy. I just drilled a blind hole through my comp and into my barrel, then dropped a pin into the hole to keep the muzzle device from rotating and welded over the hole.