• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR15 Bolt-Carrier Group question

latisimusd

Hobby Machinist
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2003
Nashville, TN USA
<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="color: #3333FF"><span style="font-weight: bold">What's the general opinion on Young NM Bolt carrier assemblies?
Good, bad, middle of pack.

Thanks</span></span></span>

Re: AR15 Bolt-Carrier Group question

Spendy but I'd do it again.

Well they're more expensive so they must be better right? ;-)

Seriously though, I have seen plenty of examples of bolts failing but not carriers. Any milspec carrier with properly staked gas key should be fine. Some people like the Young NM carriers for precision rifles but I haven't heard/seen any empirical evidence that they're better for this purpose. If it's out there I would love to see it.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think Les Baer uses these in their custom guns? I have heard nothing but great things about Les Baer AR's.

Fine quality. Just make sure the gas key is properly staked. If it is not, find someone with a MOACKS and they can take care of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cobra_Killer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard nothing but great things about Les Baer AR's. </div></div>

To hear the other side of the story, go to M4Carbine.net or arfcom and search for the threads on Les Baer. I'm with the people who say it is an overhyped and overpriced gun. Get a colt or LMT, unless you are looking for precision shooting; if so, go build a custom getup with a WOA barrel or something similar.

BCG,First question is what are you going to be using this for???
SPR, Precision, SBR or just something to shoot?
John

I didn't say it was better, just said I'd buy another one. Quality part, touch heavier than standard AR-15 carrier, and for a precision AR I'd get another one.

Run n gun rifle I'd go with a std. bolt carrier.

IMHO a M16 BC is money better spent, its heavier which increases bolt lock time, the chrome\stainless whatever carriers beside milspec ease cleaning thats it, and for all you nay sayers an M16 carrier is not illegal.

I will be using it in an LMT 16" upper (3 gun upper). It'll have a heavy carbine 3.6oz buffer. I do like the ease of cleaning and build quality of the Young NM series & Les Baer does know his ARs.
It is the main functioning part/mechanism in the rifle and wanted to have a quality piece.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: latisimusd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be using it in an LMT 16" upper (3 gun upper). It'll have a heavy carbine 3.6oz buffer. I do like the ease of cleaning and build quality of the Young NM series & Les Baer does know his ARs.
It is the main functioning part/mechanism in the rifle and wanted to have a quality piece.
</div></div>
LMT enhanced BCG would do you well.
http://www.lewismachine.net/product.php?p=64&cid=7&session=2d59df5dd52738287ea997012f832513

I have had factory BCG's from RRA, Bushy, Colt, Stag, LMT and others. Then I have had the $250ish LMT "enhanced" BCG. Bottom line, for my (admittedly pedestrian) use of AR's, I can tell no difference.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Decided to go with the Young NM - slicker than berries through a goose. Cutting holes at 50 & 75 yards off hand. Blown away with how well it works with the LMT upper. Got some practice in today.
grin.gif

Clean up time minimal!!!

The young is really slick, I just ordered one myself. As for better function than LMT or even my cheap ones, I can't tell the difference. Buy it, enjoy it and don't look bakc

(+1 on the ease of cleaning!)