• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ar15 brands

Re: ar15 brands

Not the best by any means, but I've read many posts on several different forums rating them favorably. My recommendation is buy one if you want a one-off caliber (I.e. 10mm, WSSM, etc), but look elsewhere if you a major caliber (I.e. 5.56, 6.8, etc).

Not in my opinion.

What is your intended use? What is your budget?

Brands I would look at: BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense, LMT, Centurion, Noveske. If more budget conscious: PSA

^^^ +1 Oly arms I tend to shy away from. Never owned one, but never heard anything amazing about them. BCM is a go to dealer for me if I need something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey lets discuss the same thing 10 million times shall we</div></div>

Dude, I'm new to long range shooting and have a 308 bolt action. What's the best scope for me?
wink.gif

To the OP: I dont know what your budget is, but it's worth saving a little more to get a Spike's tactical or something along those lines.

Olympic Arms sits firmly in the bottom of the barrel, along with DPMS. Olympic has historically had poor quality control/quality assurance. Lots of parts tend to get found to be out of spec. When I build for customers, I do not use anything from Olympic. If you want a less expensive but relatively decent rifle, look into Del-Ton or Double Star. Personally, I would recommend that you step up to the $900-$1000 range for best bet on reliability, but there are some decent builders out there for less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not in my opinion.

What is your intended use? What is your budget?

Brands I would look at: BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense, LMT, Centurion, Noveske. If more budget conscious: PSA </div></div>

+1, you can get a BCM upper and lower for an awesome price compared to most other offerings out there. I the only thing I rely on olympic to do is take a dump before you finish the first mag. Hopefully it won't dump on your face.

well i have to everyones advice and bought a bcm upper, what would be some thing that would be good to replace in the lower?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: customgun1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well i have to everyones advice and bought a bcm upper, what would be some thing that would be good to replace in the lower? </div></div>

Are you saying you have a lower and you want to know if you need to change anything or are you still looking for a lower? Lowers *for the most part* are pretty hard to screw up, you may want to stake the castle nut if it isn't already though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: customgun1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah i have on olympic arms lower, so i dont have anything to worry about?
</div></div>

Not really, you may want to check to see if you have a cast or forged lower. If you bought it new recently, chances are it's forged. You may just want to keep a spare LPK handy, and check to see if your castle nut is staked (if it isn't, it's a pretty straightforward job to stake it.) slap on a good upper and you're good to go.

I'll throw in a +1 for stag for what's it worth. Good customer service too when I decided to change from a 6.8 to the 5.56

OlyArms is a local business for me and I get to see their stuff every time at the local gun show.

Many years ago I saw a lot of terrible stuff from them, including badly cast lowers and parts that looked purple instead of black. These days they appear to be greatly improved, so at the very minimum the fit and finish look great.

They do have some innovative designs such as AR pistols with no buffer tube, gas piston uppers long before that was fashionable, and many calibers not available from others.

However, I have no personal experience with them so I won't recommend them nor will I warn against them. I will only go so far as to say that you should probably stay away from their older stuff on the used market.

thanks everyone for the help, i have a newer olympic arms ar, and have bought a bcm complete upper for it and a slide fire stock for sum occasional bump fire action, before the atf decided to ban them, which i will bet will happen

go with RRA (Rock River Arms) solid brand...not too expensive

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Olympic Arms sits firmly in the bottom of the barrel, along with DPMS. Olympic has historically had poor quality control/quality assurance. Lots of parts tend to get found to be out of spec. When I build for customers, I do not use anything from Olympic. If you want a less expensive but relatively decent rifle, look into Del-Ton or Double Star. Personally, I would recommend that you step up to the $900-$1000 range for best bet on reliability, but there are some decent builders out there for less. </div></div>

Well hell, I guess I should just throw my piece of junk DPMS away. I mean who wants a sub MOA rifle with no malfunctions in over 1000 rounds fired. I must be using it wrong. I guess I should get one similar to those Colts I used at work that malfunctioned about once every magazine.