• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ar15 buffer hitting buffer retaining pin

jb42

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2011
plum crazy lower & dpms upper i need specs. to find out if retainer is too far back or bolt carrier is too far foward.thank you jim

Re: ar15 buffer hitting buffer retaining pin

When the upper and lower receiver are assembled, the buffer does not contact the buffer retainer. The buffer retainer only comes into play when the receivers are separated. If the buffer is contacting its retainer, the lower is certainly the problem.

The upper can also be out of spec, not just the lower. It can allow the BCG to close too far forward.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The upper can also be out of spec, not just the lower. It can allow the BCG to close too far forward.</div></div>
Definitely a possibility if you're running a DPMS upper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jb42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">plum crazy lower & dpms upper i need specs. to find out if retainer is too far back or bolt carrier is too far foward.thank you jim </div></div>

I'm afraid I'm not following the problem here. Can you be more clear?