• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ar15 building tools

Pullum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2010
TN
i have ended up with alot of spare uppers. i want to be able to build them myself. what all tools do i need to build the upper out. torque wrench, upper receiver vice block, vise? thanks much.

Re: ar15 building tools

That is what I have. A barrel nut wrench suitable for the handguard of your choice would be needed. I have three, DPMS, PRI, and Troy. The Troy and PRI are essentially the same pattern, but the PRI will slot slip over a .308 barrel.

I have and use the following tools:
- beam type torque wrench
- Clamshell type vice block for the upper receiver (I lined mine in a thin stick on felt.
- PRI barrel nut wrench ( I also have one of the "multitools" and it doesn't work near as good for barrel nuts)
Some handguards need special ones so keep that in mind.
- Good punch set including some roll pin punches
- Steel and urethane hammer
- Receiver facing tool
- Gage pin set ( I use this to align the barrel nut with the gas tube hole in the upper. A drill bit would probably do the same thing)

As you can probably see some tools you can do without but its what i have.

Torque wrench, Ar armours tool, vise block, punch set, small(er) hammer, thread grease, locktite or clear nail polish.

wish I had seen the idea of using the stick on felt sooner I will do it before the next use.

The roll pin stater punches are the bomb.. They hold the pin while you get it going so the pin is recessed into the punch head. You can't finish driving the punch with that one, you need to switch to the actually roll pin punch that has the nipple in the end. But they make life so much better. Brownells has both of those sets.

Call me crazy, I've yet the head space an AR after building 25 of them... There's no way to adjust it anyways so as long are you're dealing with parts from Daniel Defense or other high quality makers that have proper QC it shouldn't be an issue. I may change my tune the first time I blow up a gun, but hopefully that never happens.

I have also built a bunch of them and never had a headspace issue. But I don't sell rifles, so I can't get sued over problems if they did come up. If you sell any, making sure that the headspace is right is a very good idea.