• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR15 carbine buffer parts?

Alecto

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2010
Arizona, USA
In an AR15 does the buffer tube, buffer spring and buffer really made a noticeable difference in performance and reliability. I'm building an AR15 and I'm at that part. Should I fork out little more cash to get something better or get stranded mil-spec.If you can send me some links for good quality parts it be much appreciated. thanks!

Re: AR15 carbine buffer parts?

For carbine buffer tubes you have two sizes;Commercial and Milspec.Magpul makes their stocks for both sizes.Some manufacturers like Vltor are only available in Milspec.I run an Endine buffer in one of my carbines and it seems a bit smoother.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some manufacturers like Vltor are only available in Milspec.</div></div>

Actually Vltor modstocks are also available in both commercial and milspec variants.

The Buffer and Spring weight make significant differences in reliability and felt recoil.
Go with an H2 buffer and a quality chrome silicone buffer spring.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=394279

If you are only going to shoot 5.56mm and not any .223, you can step up the recoil spring to a Wolff Extra Power spring.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=152626

The thinking behind the heavy buffer and spring is that it allows the BCG to operate in heavily fouled conditions.
The added benifit is the recoil reduction that comes with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some manufacturers like Vltor are only available in Milspec.</div></div>

Actually Vltor modstocks are also available in both commercial and milspec variants. </div></div>

I was on their site a couple of days ago,they said Milspec only on the carbine stocks.

Don't cause yourself extra headaches when you're building your first AR. Get all standard milspec parts to start with (which doesn't necessarily include the buffer tube). Make sure the gun works in the standard configuration before you start f-ing with it.

In terms of getting a fancy stock at first--spend that $100 on 300 rounds of ammo and one more day at the range. Seriously. Spend your money on practice and training. That is what makes you useful to yourself and your family--not whether you have a standard stock or a fancier one.

As for milspec vs commercial buffer tubes, the milspecs are smaller in diameter and a bit stronger. If you can get one, great, but there is no difference in how they actually work in real life. It is really hard to bend a buffer tube. Just make sure to match your buffer tube dia to your stock.

In terms of buffer and spring--some guns don't run well with all ammos when using heavy buffers and or springs. Most of your cheap practice ammo, like Wolf and brown bear, is loaded way weaker than your 5.56 spec ammo. It might not cycle that gun with the heavy buffer and heavy spring. I like my gun to run with everything. Of course, I'd rather practice 30% more for the same money and use cheaper ammo sometimes, but more importantly if SHTF, do you really want to be worrying that your gun only works with 3 brands of ammo? No. You want your rifle to work with everything--whether you bought that sweet Black Hills shit, or whether you're using someone else's junk Wolf ammo. Your rifle is useless if it doesn't fire each time you pull the trigger.

You can always spend ten bucks and get an H-buffer later, or a heavier spring later, if you want. I use them, but only once I know a gun runs fine stock, and with the different types of ammo I want it to.

Sandrat,

I don't know about a couple of days ago but lastnight and today all of the EMods and IMods available on their website are available for both buffer tubes.