• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR15 Cycling Issues

mkrem

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 30, 2019
Southern Indiana
I built a URG-I Block 3 "Clone" and am experiencing cycling issues. I have exhausted about all my knowledge and am now here seeking opinions and advise.

I am using: Aero M4E1 upper and lower, Gissele SSA-E , 14.5" Faxon Gunner (i think), full auto bolt carrier group, MK14 Handguard, midlength gas system w/ adjustable gas block, H2 Buffer. I don't have the rifle in front of me so I can't verify all the brands at this time.

Background: I attempted to get the rifle on paper with wolf ammo and it would not cycle at all. It is my understanding that wolf is lower pressure ammo so I did the same thing with commercial brass. This helped to reduce the cycling issues but the rifle was still unreliable and short stroking.

My attempted fix: I ensured the gas block was wide open, made sure the gas tube was clear of obstructions, verified the gas block was installed correctly, reduced the H2 buffer to H1, reduced the H1 buffer to carbine, verified bolt function and gas rings were okay, changed buffer springs, modified buffer springs to lessen bolt load. None of these "fixes" allowed me to achieve reliable cycling as it continues to short stroke and is throwing brass at the 5 o'clock position. My last thought is that the gas port needs drilled out, but I feel like faxon should know what they are doing and i should not have to modify such.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as this rifle is no more than a paper weight at this point!

Are you positive the gas block is aligned with the gas port ? ( Since it sure sounds like a gas restriction issue )

Some barrels need the gas block to be against the barrels shoulder flange... some leave room for the handguard cap... IE in between the barrel flange / shoulder and the front sight base. That slim space, is enough to cause gas flow issues if the gas block is not positioned correctly over the gas port.
Has the Faxon barrels chamber been thoroughly cleaned ? I seem to remember hearing about tight chambers in Faxon barrels... so make sure it is clean.

Do you have pics of the fired brass ? Look the brass over, checking for scratches or scuffs from a possible rough chamber.

Firearm fully / properly cleaned and lubed prior to your first firing ? Sounds silly and obvious... but given the current production environment, some things are sent out the door without decent QC.

And / or lube... just packing oil , and get it out the door.

Last edited:
Are you positive the gas block is aligned with the gas port ?

Some barrels need the gas block to be against the barrels shoulder flange... some leave room for the handguard cap... IE in between the barrel flange / shoulder and the front sight base. That slim space, is enough to cause gas flow issues if the gas block is not positioned correctly over the gas port.
By all accounts, the gas block is lined up with the gas port. I used a gas block genie to verify such. I just got in a borescope, maybe with that, i'll be able to double check that they are aligned.

I have added to my previous post.

5:00 ejection is pretty "weak"... hence the GB alignment question.

Maybe check for any gas leakage... at the gas block, the gas tube, and the BCG gas key.

What gas block? If you're running a Superlative Arms gas block and you adjust it to what you think is wide open, you may actually be in bleed off mode. Does your gas block look like pic below? If so, close it all the way, then count 18 clicks.
1645047984966.png

^^^^^and they require some offset to the shoulder. Make sure you haven’t accidentally mounted it flush with your GB shoulder

Reactions: Orion1957
Check the gas port, I have had 2 separate barrels from different manufacturers with the wrong gas port, I used a set of drill bits to check diameter. Super easy to re drill just go slow, use a good oil and a new bit, or send it back and have the manufacturer fix it.

Reactions: Tiribulus
If you haven't already, check out some of the videos of The School of the American Rifle, he's on YT and perhaps other vid sites. Sizes of passages in the bolt effect gas efficiency. Dimensions of BCG could be off...

I have added to my previous post.

5:00 ejection is pretty "weak"... hence the GB alignment question.

Maybe check for any gas leakage... at the gas block, the gas tube, and the BCG gas key.
I have done that previously and haven’t had any significant findings. I did try swapping out my Odin works adjustable gb for a normal BCM gas block. Haven’t been able to test it yet.

I borescoped it and the gas block and port line up perfectly.

What specific brand Adj. GB ?

And What specific brand BCG ?

Gb noted above
I think the bcg is a toolcraft but I’m not certain. I don’t get too worked up about my bcg’s as long as the bolts are mpi and they are from a reputable company. It’s my understanding that all bcgs are made by 3-4 different manufacturers.

Reactions: bfoosh006
Are you positive the gas block is aligned with the gas port ? ( Since it sure sounds like a gas restriction issue )

Has the Faxon barrels chamber been thoroughly cleaned ? I seem to remember hearing about tight chambers in Faxon barrels... so make sure it is clean.

Do you have pics of the fired brass ? Look the brass over, checking for scratches or scuffs from a possible rough chamber.

Firearm fully / properly cleaned and lubed prior to your first firing ? Sounds silly and obvious... but given the current production environment, some things are sent out the door without decent QC.

And / or lube... just packing oil , and get it out the door.
I don’t have pics of the fires brass as it went into my range pile. Hard telling what came from which gun.

The barrel and firearm was cleaned/degreased pre firing.

What gas block? If you're running a Superlative Arms gas block and you adjust it to what you think is wide open, you may actually be in bleed off mode. Does your gas block look like pic below? If so, close it all the way, then count 18 clicks.
View attachment 7809105
I was running an odinworks adj gb. Switch to a regular non adj gb last night to see if that helped.

Check the gas port, I have had 2 separate barrels from different manufacturers with the wrong gas port, I used a set of drill bits to check diameter. Super easy to re drill just go slow, use a good oil and a new bit, or send it back and have the manufacturer fix it.
I’ll try doing this in the near future.

Faxon barrels tend to have oversized gas ports at 0.081". If the barrel gas port size is correct, check the gas flow from the BCG. Stick a copper wire through gas key and check to see if it protrudes inside the BCG (with bolt removed). Assuming there is a gas port hole machined for the gas key, what could've happened during assembly is they went a little too generous with the gas key sealant and you have hardened sealant blocking the BCG gas port. If you find you can't push a wire through, remove the gas key and inspect (or contact the manufacturer for an RMA).

While the bolt is out, insert the bolt into the barrel extension and see if you can spin it freely without binding.

Last edited:
If you have access to a friend's BCG, I'd try his to see if it resolves the issue.

Faxon barrels tend to have oversized gas ports at 0.081". If the barrel gas port size is correct, check the gas flow from the BCG. Stick a copper wire through gas key and check to see if it protrudes inside the BCG (with bolt removed). Assuming there is a gas port hole machined for the gas key, what could've happened during assembly is they went a little too generous with the gas key sealant and you have hardened sealant blocking the BCG gas port. If you find you can push a wire through, remove the gas key and inspect (or contact the manufacturer for an RMA).

While the bolt is out, insert the bolt into the barrel extension and see if you can spin it freely without binding.
Thank you very much for this tips. I will give these a shot soon

If you have access to a friend's BCG, I'd try his to see if it resolves the issue.
Good point as well. I will try one of my other BCG's and see if cycling improves. I don't think i would have ever considered the issue to be with the BCG. Learn something new everyday.

Sorry for the delay fellas.

The wide open regular gas block gave me an ejection pattern of 3-4 o’clock and got rid of short stroking. Maybe I’m wrong, but I should be able to achieve a 1 o’clock ejection with everything wide open.

I did swap bcg’s and nothing changed. Gas key was open and not clogged. To the best of my ability, the gas port is measuring .079 so it appears ok.

The gas tube is clear of obstructions. Is it possible it is undersized? May try a new gas tube next.

3-4 o'clock ejection is perfectly fine if you're in the northern Indiana region with the temps it has been the past couple of weeks (excluding those oddball 40*F days). Your ejection pattern will start shifting forwards as the carbon starts sealing any gaps around your gas block.

URG-I gas port size for midlength should be 0.076" (or was it a 0.070", it was one of them, in any case smaller than 0.079" or 0.081") running with H2 buffers. The gas port size was selected to be reliable for operational temperatures -60*F to 160*F

If you're achieving 1 o'clock ejection at 10*F to 30*F, you're gonna absolutely have bolt overrun issues when the temps get up to even 60*F, let alone 100*F or 160*F.

Edit to add - lubrication also plays a factor. Temperature will affect oil viscosity and that can cause sluggish operation.

Last edited:
3-4 o'clock ejection is perfectly fine if you're in the northern Indiana region with the temps it has been the past couple of weeks (excluding those oddball 40*F days). Your ejection pattern will start shifting forwards as the carbon starts sealing any gaps around your gas block.

URG-I gas port size for midlength should be 0.076" (or was it a 0.070", it was one of them, in any case smaller than 0.079" or 0.081") running with H2 buffers. The gas port size was selected to be reliable for operational temperatures -60*F to 160*F

If you're achieving 1 o'clock ejection at 10*F to 30*F, you're gonna absolutely have bolt overrun issues when the temps get up to even 60*F, let alone 100*F or 160*F.

Edit to add - lubrication also plays a factor. Temperature will affect oil viscosity and that can cause sluggish operation.
Sorry, the point i was trying to make was that even with the wide open gas block and carbine buffer it was ejecting at 3 and 4, it was still not over gassed as it should be IMO. I am wanting to run an H2 but am not able to do so due to short stroking.

Reactions: Evintos
Sorry, the point i was trying to make was that even with the wide open gas block and carbine buffer it was ejecting at 3 and 4, it was still not over gassed as it should be IMO. I am wanting to run an H2 but am not able to do so due to short stroking.
Ah gotcha. While it doesn't hurt to try a new gas tube, you still may not get the result you're looking for.

Some possibilities -
- gas tube is undersized; excessive residue around gas tube/gas block
- gas tube port is undersized. Example is a BRT EZTune gas tube which purposefully undesizes gas tubes to account for oversized gas ports. Which results in the end user not having to use a AGB.

- tolerance issue with your gas block and gas block journal that is allowing an excessive amount of gas to leak. If this is the case, you'll see an excessive amount of greyish residue around this area. Some residue is ok and necessary for the carbon and residue to seal up any gaps. Since you've tried a fixed gas block and adjustable gas block, this would be an undersized gas block journal. Would need a micrometer to check.

- check your magazine feed lips to see if you have excessive rubbing of the BCG. Another possibility is that your mag catch is positioning the magazine too high and that the friction from the feed lips applying upwards pressure is slowing your BCG.

Reactions: mkrem
But you seem to have achieved the proper balance without needing to change anything. Sounds like a win. Why the desire for an H2?
The idea in having an h2 is better recoil impulse and muzzle control as well as that is what the spec is for URG-I.

Ah gotcha. While it doesn't hurt to try a new gas tube, you still may not get the result you're looking for.

Some possibilities -
- gas tube is undersized; excessive residue around gas tube/gas block
- gas tube port is undersized. Example is a BRT EZTune gas tube which purposefully undesizes gas tubes to account for oversized gas ports. Which results in the end user not having to use a AGB.

- tolerance issue with your gas block and gas block journal that is allowing an excessive amount of gas to leak. If this is the case, you'll see an excessive amount of greyish residue around this area. Some residue is ok and necessary for the carbon and residue to seal up any gaps. Since you've tried a fixed gas block and adjustable gas block, this would be an undersized gas block journal. Would need a micrometer to check.

- check your magazine feed lips to see if you have excessive rubbing of the BCG. Another possibility is that your mag catch is positioning the magazine too high and that the friction from the feed lips applying upwards pressure is slowing your BCG.
I have checked journal size a few times and it appears okay to me. I haven’t been able to find any gas leakage at the gas block.

I stated previously that the barrel is a faxon, but that is incorrect. It is a BA.

I appreciate the detailed thoughts. I am going to test a different gas tube as well as analyze the magazine. The mags work in all my other rifles so it very well could be the mag catch is not in spec.

Could an oversized gas key (diameter)/ undersized gas tube(diameter) cause issues like this?

The idea in having an h2 is better recoil impulse and muzzle control as well as that is what the spec is for URG-I.
The reason to add buffer weight is to balance the system against a surplus of gas. You don't have that surplus, and the system is properly balanced, and no gain will come from changing the parameters just to re balance. You can drill out the gas port to add unneeded gas, just to tame it back down with a heavier buffer if you really want to.

Reactions: Mike_in_FL

I stated previously that the barrel is a faxon, but that is incorrect. It is a BA.

Could an oversized gas key (diameter)/ undersized gas tube(diameter) cause issues like this?
Keep in mind the H2 spec for the URG-I is also in conjunction with M855 and M855A1 ammo. Cheap commercial brass case ammo and cheap Wolf (excluding Wolf Gold M193) may not generate the same pressures as the M855 or M855A1 ammo. So I would also recommend testing with M193 or M855. Ignore this if you've done so already.

For future reference the Ballistic Advantage barrel gas port spec for the midlength should be 0.0785" which is inline with your measurement.

I haven't seen or heard of an undersized gas tube/oversized gas key causing that much of change by itself. Usually it's a culmination of oversized dimensions on the BCG across the board. However it's possible (it'd have to be drastically different) and you would notice an excessive amount of gas venting forward from the upper receiver clover leaf where the gas tube goes through (see pic below) that would look similar to shooting suppressed. You'll also see a bunch of residue coating this area of the gas tube and barrel nut.

Considering you swapped BCGs and have the same results, I'd rule out the BCG for now but not necessarily rule out the gas tube. Now if you just swapped carriers and not the entire BCG, it's possible the gas ring(s) on the specific bolt are bad. Simple gas ring test will determine this.

Borrowed a pic from another thread -
1644250252761-png.7802667

The reason to add buffer weight is to balance the system against a surplus of gas. You don't have that surplus, and the system is properly balanced, and no gain will come from changing the parameters just to re balance. You can drill out the gas port to add unneeded gas, just to tame it back down with a heavier buffer if you really want to.
I agree with this statement. But, I also believe it does as I stated

Keep in mind the H2 spec for the URG-I is also in conjunction with M855 and M855A1 ammo. Cheap commercial brass case ammo and cheap Wolf (excluding Wolf Gold M193) may not generate the same pressures as the M855 or M855A1 ammo. So I would also recommend testing with M193 or M855. Ignore this if you've done so already.

For future reference the Ballistic Advantage barrel gas port spec for the midlength should be 0.0785" which is inline with your measurement.

I haven't seen or heard of an undersized gas tube/oversized gas key causing that much of change by itself. Usually it's a culmination of oversized dimensions on the BCG across the board. However it's possible (it'd have to be drastically different) and you would notice an excessive amount of gas venting forward from the upper receiver clover leaf where the gas tube goes through (see pic below) that would look similar to shooting suppressed. You'll also see a bunch of residue coating this area of the gas tube and barrel nut.

Considering you swapped BCGs and have the same results, I'd rule out the BCG for now but not necessarily rule out the gas tube. Now if you just swapped carriers and not the entire BCG, it's possible the gas ring(s) on the specific bolt are bad. Simple gas ring test will determine this.

Borrowed a pic from another thread -
1644250252761-png.7802667
I haven’t tested those specific Rounds, but I have tested some IMI razorcore. I probably should have chronographed it to see where it was at on the spectrum. What I can say is that the recoil impulse was greater than other commercial ammo I shot beside it. Maybe it is as simple as 5.56 pressure are higher and therefore generate more force in the bcg through gas. I’ll load a few rounds of my mk262 clone with my lc brass and see what happens.

I did swap the entire bcg. Both sets passed the gas ring test. In slow motion video I took, my rifle doesn’t exhibit any gas leakage that I am able to see.

I guess all that is left component wise is the gas tube. If swapping that doesn’t get me what I am looking for, I suppose it will just be what it is 🤷‍♂️

Update: The gas tube finally came in today and I installed it and test fired

The rifle still wouldn't cycle 55 gr steel cased wolf (Short Stroking). It would cycle wolf gold with an ejection at 4 o'clock which is roughly the same as the razorcore. Shot some of my HOT handloads yesterday and it cycled those with an ejection at 4 o'clock.

The temperature today during the test was 54 dg and previously when I tested the rifle it was <30

Attached are photos of the original gas tube. Can someone with more knowledge than me comment if locations of carbon staining looks normal? It was a pain to remove the OG gas tube from the gas block. It seemed to be locked into it pretty good due to carbon buildup.

check your magazine feed lips to see if you have excessive rubbing of the BCG. Another possibility is that your mag catch is positioning the magazine too high and that the friction from the feed lips applying upwards pressure is slowing your BCG.

I am going to double check this item as different mags do not make a difference in how it cycles.

Attachments

• IMG-2889.jpg
    IMG-2889.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG-2887.jpg
    IMG-2887.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG-2886 (1).jpg
    IMG-2886 (1).jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG-2886.jpg
    IMG-2886.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG-2883.jpg
    IMG-2883.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG-2884.jpg
    IMG-2884.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 62
An updated list of what parts you've swapped out for troubleshooting/process of elimination, and any other details, would be helpful.

An updated list of what parts you've swapped out for troubleshooting/process of elimination, and any other details, would be helpful.

To date, I have done the following:
  1. Swapped an Odin works Adj GB for a BCM non-adj GB
  2. Swapped the original BCG with a known working BCG
  3. Decreased buffer weight from H2 to Carbine
  4. Swapped the original stainless gas tube for a Aero precision melonited gas tube
  5. Modified buffer spring to reduce load
  6. Measured the gas port at .079
  7. Probed the gas key with a wire to ensure it was open
  8. Shot the rifle oiled the rifle heavily
  9. Shot the rifle oiled properly
  10. Thoroughly cleaned the rifle
  11. Tried different magazines
  12. Probably other things that I am forgetting
Current rifle setup:
Carbine buffer, BCM non-adj gb, BA 14.5" bbl, Aero upper and lower, standard buffer spring, mid-length gas tube, surefire 3 prong flash hider

Reactions: Milf Dots
All the images of the carbon on the gas block and gas tube look normal to me. The only things left I can think that of would also affect a known working BCG are:

- Misaligned barrel extension or burr, undersized barrel extension recess, nonconcentric barrel extension, that is causing excessive friction on the bolt lugs. Undersized barrel extension or receiver/extension pin offcenter). You'll see excessive wear indicators on the bolt lugs if this was the case. (for the Ballistic Advantage barrel, the most likely cause would be undersized barrel extension recess caused by too thick of a layer of Nickel Boron, but if the bolt spins freely in the extension without rubbing, this wouldn't be it)

- Misaligned receiver extension/receiver buffer tower or improperly machined receivers (upper or lower) causing a canted alignment. You'll see wear indicators on the tail of the bolt carrier, the lip of the receiver extension, and/or lower receiver.

- Improperly machined upper receiver cam pin recess causing the cam pin corners to drag excessively. You'll see excessive wear on the upper receiver and cam pin corners.

If it's not any of those, I'm stumped.

It's been mentioned that your gas port diameter is 0.0785" (#47), which is what BA drills at and should be fine. However, if I was having your issues, I would consider upping it to 0.810" (#46, 7/32").

If it's not any of those, I'm stumped.
You and me both. At this point, I am probably going to just reach out to Aero and see if they can verify the receivers are in spec if I sent them in. Same with BA and the barrel.

However, if I was having your issues, I would consider upping it to 0.810" (#46, 7/32").
If all else fails, I will probably up it and see what happens.

View attachment 7809105
Any update on this? I'm having similar issues with the 6mmARC build that did run great but I switched buttstocks/buffer/buffer springs/ buffers and now it is short stroking.

seemed like it just barely needed more gas. has around 3k down the tube. I had an A2 spring with carbine buffer, cut that spring down to carbine length and still issues today.

I am guessing it is the gas tube, as it almost runs but not quite. I got it to lock back with max gas but then would have feeding issues. Only a couple times with hotter handloads would it cycle correctly, then feeding issues again. Will report back. I'm new to AR's.

I think I also need to try the gas ring test.
Thx in noob advance.

Reactions: river22
Any update on this? I'm having similar issues with the 6mmARC build that did run great but I switched buttstocks/buffer/buffer springs/ buffers and now it is short stroking.

seemed like it just barely needed more gas. has around 3k down the tube. I had an A2 spring with carbine buffer, cut that spring down to carbine length and still issues today.

I am guessing it is the gas tube, as it almost runs but not quite. I got it to lock back with max gas but then would have feeding issues. Only a couple times with hotter handloads would it cycle correctly, then feeding issues again. Will report back. I'm new to AR's.

Thx in noob advance.
Sorry, I don’t have an update yet. I sent the upper and barrels in to the manufacturer to get checked out. Still no word on them.

I couldn’t send my lower in because it is registered. But it’s possible the mag catch is holding the mag too high and causing friction with the bolt. That’s what I need to look into next.

Can you detail what was installed when it worked fine and what was installed when it started short stroking?

Thx in noob advance.
Might want to start a new thread, need info like full build specs (parts, etc.) pre-change and post-change, ammo specs, environmental (temperature) conditions.

Reactions: Milf Dots
...the easy answer is to revert back to the original configuration that DID work consistently.

...what exactly did you switch from, i.e., carbine recoil system to rifle recoil system or vice versa?

Further disassembly looks to be gas block just a tad off center(but still in line with the port on the barrel), and a dirty gas tube. we will see if that fixes it. I will probably clean the bolt in the meantime.

Update:

Got the barrel back from BA. They couldn’t determine any issues with it. They did drill the gas port out though so maybe it was undersized, although they didn’t state such.

I’ll get it mounted up and tested in the next few weeks.

If you build a lot or swap your own barrels a pin gage set is nice to have.

Think I paid about $40 for it when I bought mine. I've found ports undersized, oversized and not fully drilled through. Is nice to know and log exactly what the port size is.

If you build a lot or swap your own barrels a pin gage set is nice to have.

Think I paid about $40 for it when I bought mine. I've found ports undersized, oversized and not fully drilled through. Is nice to know and log exactly what the port size is.

Ya, I am definitely going to have to invest in one of those sets.

Update:

Got the barrel back from BA. They couldn’t determine any issues with it. They did drill the gas port out though so maybe it was undersized, although they didn’t state such.

I’ll get it mounted up and tested in the next few weeks.
How long was the turnaround from BA? I'm in a similar situation with an 18" BA barrel, and may need to send it back to them for eval.

I don't believe I have read this suggestion among the responses.... be sure that the BCG is totally wet with oil... I have seen dry BCG's refuse to be charged, and hang up on return and shell retrieval... I use "Shooters Lube"

Reactions: Gohring65
I don't believe I have read this suggestion among the responses.... be sure that the BCG is totally wet with oil... I have seen dry BCG's refuse to be charged, and hang up on return and shell retrieval... I use "Shooters Lube"
I have tried the rifle soaking wet with oil, properly lubed, as well as dry. If drilling out the gas port didn't fix it, the last thing it could be is that the lower is out of spec. Unfortunately, I can't send it in because it is registered. So the mftr says.

....don't take this personally, but throughout this thread the common symptoms of weakened ejection pattern appears when using Wolf steel cased ammo, even when using "standard" recoil system components. The use of RazorCore & "HOT" handloads gives you a 3-4 o'clock ejection pattern & reliable functioning.

...if getting it to function reliably with the Wolf Steel cased ammo is a necessity, then you will have to "lighten" components in the recoil system, i.e., lighter buffer spring rate, lighter buffer weight, lighter BCG, either individually or in combination. It also means that when you switch to other brands of ammo, you may experience the reverse of under gassing.

Reactions: Orion1957