• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR15 front sight question

RHutch

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 23, 2005
    Frisco, TX
    I have a rifle length upper with the standard A2 front sight, 2 piece hand guards, etc.

IMG_0158.jpg

What I would like to do is replace the A2 front sight with a gas block/flip sight combo while maintaining the 2 piece handguard config.
    From what I have seen, it looks as though the various gasblocks (other than the A2) are config'd with a FF tube of some sort.
    I do not want to spend the $ for a railed free-float tube, just want to get the fixed A2 out of my line of sight when using a low powered magnified optic.

I could just cut the top of the sight off above the gas tube port but was looking for something a bit more finished.

Any ideas? It has been awhile since I have dusted off the ARs.

Re: AR15 front sight question

I'm not 100% sure I follow what you mean , if I've misunderstood, please ignore this.

But I think maybe this is going to give you what you are looking for? :

http://www.armsmounts.com/default.asp?mode=products&sub=sights&id=[hsh]41-B

I have a couple of them - really like them!

(If you get one and don't need the little washer they provide to replace the handguard retainer on free float tubes....could you send the washer to me?
    wink.gif
    )

Right track but I will clarify.

See the "trianglar cup" that retains the front of the 2 piece handguards, just to the rear of the gas block?
    I would need to keep that in conjunction with any new gas block I end up using for my system to work…I think.

I cant get the damn handguards off (although I put them on) to see how that thing is attached.

I think you can do that with the ARMS sight I linked.

The sight itself arrives with a small .0250" thickness washer to place between it and the shoulder fo the barrel to replace the trangular handguard retainer you mention so that you can align the gas port correctly.. In your case I believe you would just get rid of the washer (send it to me! :D) and use your triagular retainer.

I belive the handguards clip into the retainer and the gas tube pases through it. It should not be permanently fixed to anything...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/sid=805/schematicsdetail/AR_15_Front_Sight_Assembly

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/sid=806/schematicsdetail/AR_15_Gas_Tube_Assembly

That was helpful. Now to decide which sight to get…
    If I do get the ARMS, you get the washer:)

sprout - I've got one of those too (also a Wilson Combat flip-up I've never used). There's no shortage of choices once you start to look.

Personally I prefer the mechanism on the ARMS and it is the only one that I found that uses a double support A type frame. I'm always concerned that a really heavy blow to a unit like the YHM or Wilson (withonly one support) could bugger the zero or the sight itself.

Another plus for me is that the ARMS retains the original look of the rifle when in use.