• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing AR15 GasRing Guestion

bkhartman

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2012
Mahoning Co. Ohio
First of all God bless the souls lost and the heroes that served then and now.

Are there any very good, better then other gas rings out there. Thanks Brian

Brian,

I've bought some one piece rings from Sinclair which work well. They seal better and don't have gaps to get lined up together. Recoil felt more consistent and it helped the brass drop into a smaller pile. Kept the bolt cleaner, too.

HTH,
DocB

Where they MCFARLAND ? I have used the in the past and was happy. I have read some resent bad reviews on their rings being under sized(OD) that's why I thought I'd ask. They worked well for me before. Thanks for the reply.Brian

Brian,

Yes, they are the McFarland ring. Mine are at least eight years old, but I don't shoot the ARs as much as I have in the past. Still work. The undersize problem might be some folks having an oversize bolt carrier, but I don't know and can't say. If you have a quality bolt, you shouldn't have any problem. Besides, you could measure the diameter of your old ring and the diameter of the new ring and get a good idea as to whether the ring is undersized.

HTH,
DocB

+1 for McFarland 1 piece rings. GI works just aswell but theres been times when ive miss counted and had to order more to complete the build