• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR15 - M16 A1 replica

tymurrey

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
Wilton, North Dakota
I'm looking to build an AR15 to replicate the looks of the M16A1 my dad used in vietnam. Just looking for some tips on the build or some pictures. Also any information on making sure i get the engraving right. I'm thinking of buying one of the colt parts kits off the internet then a Nodak spud lower receiver but with the parts kit i need to have the front sight fitted to the barrel and the barrel parkerized so if you know of any gunsmith that does this work that info would be awesome. Thanks

Re: AR15 - M16 A1 replica

What you want is a Colt SP1 like this

the rifle in the link to the colt sp1 doesn't have the forward assist or the 3 prong/bird cage flash hider so thats not really what i was looking for. I was hoping for some guys that were in vietnam could help explain what they carried and was hoping to get a lower with "full" engraved on it also get the propery of the u.s. government engraved with the navy seabees emblem. The main thing i'm looking for is information on people that have done a replica build and if they could help me out with the companies they used. I did do a google search but first hand knowledge from people that can tell me how they did it and even some pictures would be great.

I was in 'Nam and worked alongside the Seabees in I Corps (Quang Tri Province) early in the war, late '66, most of '67. I never once saw a Seabee with an AR15/M16. When I left 'Nam in Nov. '67, my Marine Engineer Unit was still carrying M14's. The Seabees I worked with carried M1/2 Carbines, M1 Thompsons, M3 Grease Guns, and a few managed to get their hands around some M14's.

Have you discussed this with your Dad, and are you certain the AR15/M16 is the rifle he used?

Also, knowing my own experiences with PTSD; I'd think twice about any surprises involving 'Nam and combat arms. Things don't always have the same meanings for different folks.

Greg

I have talked it over with him alittle but i'd also like it to be a surprise. He was there late (71-72 somewhere in there)and i'm pretty sure he said he had the M16A1. I wish he would have had a m14 that would give me a great excuse to build one of them. I'd like it to be a surpise that's why i haven't talked to him much about it because he'd know i'm buying one. He's always been a fan of the AR15 that's why i'd like him to have a replica.

Theres some early m16 uppers for sale on GB that would be a good start, no forward assist or protruding case deflector on these uppers, there is also some early BCG without the notches. Also you would be looking for a slab sided lower, which means no guards or fences around the magazine release pushbutton. The first style flash hider was the 3-prong model, later changed to the birdcage model. Early buttstock had no trapdoor, and the list of differences goes on, probably best to look for a 60's SP1.

Also may want to head over to ar15.com. Specifically the retro forum:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=123

Addendum: Hehe, I found this pic on there amusing:

DSC00349.jpg

Thanks for the info, the problem i'm having is that like what was mentioned with the many different configurations. I know his had the forward assist and i did find a replica A1 lower but some markings would have to be engraved. The kit hillbillee mentioned is what i was looking at but the barrel needs to be turned down and the front sight pinned on, also needs to be parkerized. Any info on some good companies that'd do that type of stuff that you've had first hand experience with would be great.

I'm telling you head over to arfcom. The "AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum" is 8000 threads deep of people obsessing over the smallest details of this stuff. They can probably tell you the serial number of your dad's rifle
smile.gif